Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS

I have a Sharp LCD Model LC-32SB23U. The power light is blinking

I have a Sharp LCD Model LC-32SB23U. The power light is blinking and it wont turn on. We have reset it and it comes on for a few minutes then picture goes out and we only have sound then it goes off and wont come back on. The power light just blinks green and is the only light blinking. When it is on the picture is good.

Thanks for using JustAnswer

Is the power light blinking once every second please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It blinks once every second......Tammie

Their are 3 things that can cause this bad firmware/a bad invertor (controls the backlight)/the backlight itself

Please see if the set will go into service mode by holding down Channel Minus and the INPUT button on the set itself then plug into wallpower or come out of standby (try both)

If the set comes on this way your set is not fixed but is in safe mode you will see characters on the display using the remote arrows navigate to lamp errors and let me know the number could be 0 to 5 or even 0 to 30

Let me know if it goes into service mode or not please

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried it more than once and it does nothing except keep blinking. If I hold down the power button it will come back on but it doesnt go to service mode, the tv just goes to a station then off blank with sound then off after a few minutes. There is an audible "click sound" when it goes off.

Its the power and input buttons you hold down did you do this?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I hold down the power and input button the power light stopped blinking and is now red. Nothing on the screen.

Its not going to play ball

How long have you owned the set from new please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A couple of yrs. But it has hardly been used. Just to make sure I did it right, did you want me to hold down the power and channel down button also. The first time I tried it, I held down the input and channel down button.

Yes the INPUT and CHANNEL DOWN (sorry my fault not power )must be held down together whilst you power up

Let me know

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It does nothing when I do that.

OK basically I was asking you to do that because in service mode (if it would have started up)the lamp error menu would have told me if you indeed had a faulty invertor or backlight but as you have just found out its pot luck sometimes that it may not even go into this mode due to the fault....

Your back to my original answer now the firmware is out you cant do anything

The invertor may be replaced but this is a 3 to 1 gamble as it could be the other 2 issues

The backlight nobody can do anything about as it basically is part of the panel (screen)so wouldnt be economical to replace

In my experience with these and other sharp sets its been the backlight as the connections inside the panel are poor

I would contact sharp and complain find the contact email and explain what I have told you, I have seen on many occasions sharp and other manufacturers redress the customers when pressured as this should have gone much longer than 2 years

Indicate the 1 blink a second error code and what I have told you it could be use this text to back up your claim for them to do something about this

Hope this helps

Let me know if I can do anything else please

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. This is so frustrating. Is there any chance we can tell by looking at the inverter if it is bad? Or by looking at any other parts that could be wrong? I will get ahold of Sharp and see if I can get some help that way other than them telling me to take it to an authorized tech to check it out.

That may be the case but your argument is that if its the backlight it should have lasted longer than 2 years.....

No theirs no way of knowing by looking it needs to be changed, the firmware cant be loaded because the set is dead if its this

As I say I have seen many sharps with bad backlights and this isnt an option for replacement due to cost and can only be done in a lab by a tech

Sorry this is turning this way....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, im glad I checked with you. I'll be contacting Sharp & hopefully they will do something about it.

Let me know what happens and explain to them what I have told you....

Many Thanks for accept/feedback

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will. Thanks again.

Thank You