TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

the sound between my home theater system, tv, and cable box

the sound between my home theater system, tv, and cable box are out of sync.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

That can and will happen, it is caused by the amount of processing time required by specific equipment to convert digital Audio, over to audio our Ears can hear (analog audio)

If your amplifier is where the lag time is heard, GOOD amps have an Audio delay setting on them, but you won't find them on the OLDER amps as much.

Home theaters in a box kits are not a high level amp, but you can always check the instruction guide for it. Audio delay is the Key word to search.

But the one you can't fix is the cable box's audio delay -- that's the one that you hear on your TV set. If the audio is delayed there, all you can do is unplug the cable box for 5 minutes and let the micro reset in the box. It's also a good time to reset the TV while waiting for the cable box to reboot. Both are more computer than TV nowadays, so treat it like one when you have Audio and Video problems -- they are software driven.

Now I just tried to download your manual off of Sonystyle.com and it didn't let me. I think my IE8 may be having issues this morning, but you may want to download that instruction guide because your Home theater does have Audio Lip Sync settings -- It was in the specifications page.

graphic

But if I can't download the manual, then you'll have to...or just open the paper one they gave you, if they did.

PDF manuals are more likely to be out there, and that's the one I attempted to download off

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666077664#specifications

But like I said, my computer being persnickity this morning.

So you can do it....

There you go, simple problem solved...

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The delay is in the HTS. My old HTS did not have the same issue. What about a digital optics cord? I am using a digital coaxial cord?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried changing the A/V sync. It didn't work.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, how does your cable box and the TV work together ? Is the sound misaligned too?

If so -- change channels. Some TV station's audio Sync can go goofy for a day or two until they fix it on their end.

If All channels are delayed with ONLY the TV and Cable box -- then reset BOTH by unplugging.

This is a step by step instruction to isolate the problem so do it.

If BOTH ARE Synced correctly, then the lag is in your Home Theater.

If it's in the home theater, you should be able to activate that Audio Lip sync and hear/see it change the lag.

If it didn NOT make any change Whatsoever, then I would suspect the Audio Sync circuit is NOT working correctly, and that the problem is ISOLATED in the HTS then.

If it's not making ANY CHANGE in the alignment of the picture and sync - the delay is broke.

That's why you want to go from the MIN to the MAX setting very quickly and see if there is a CHANGE.

Crank it from one extreme to the other and OBSERVE.

(Sorry for the caps, I tend to emphasize the specific action or the importance of what to do)

That's what I would do....

Let me know what you see and hear with the delay test, ok?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The tv and cable box are syncd on target. When I use the surround sound is when problem occurs. I tried the A/V sync. I took it from zero to 300. It got worse as the numbers got higher. When I play movies the sound is on target. Am I using the wrong cables?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

I don't know if you are using the wrong cables...let's look Further first.

On the home theater -- are you listening to it with the TV's sound turned down or attempting to match both sound systems together. If so, that wont' happen. There is delay, so you Pick ONE audio system to supply it.

Not both. Just making sure that is not the problem you are writing about.

If you have delay on the HTS it's just adding too much processing time to match the Cable box's Video with the HTS's Audio timing.

Your Box is synced to the TV

Your HTS is synced with the DVD

Your delay is in the Cable box's stereo signal taking a long time to convert/process, and there is no VIDEO DELAY setting on your Cable box to slow it down enough to match with the Audio.

I don't think you can fix that problem no matter what you try....

Both your Cable box, and TV work together correctly so the delay isn't there, your HTS is delaying the cable signal too much, and I don't think there is any device out there that you can add to the cable box's video output and DELAY that !

Sure wish they made one....

Because that's what you need if you want to watch Cable and have loud Stereo Audio coming out of the HTS instead of the TV speakers.

You're not using the wrong cables...the delay time is what's killing this setup, and there is no video delay box out there that's .....

Hey, are you using HDMI and Optical connections?

What if we have the OPTION of RCA Audio and Video on your setup??

If we can deliver Cable's Signal to the TV set using HD COMPONENT Video and deliver the Audio to the HTS with either the Optical (problem - delay) OR the preferred RCA Stereo AUDIO INPUTS on the HTS, THEN I'll bet we won't have the Digital Delay !!

See? That's the way to get around it ! Don't do digital, do the HD Component and never have any Delay issues to begin with !

Of course with today's technology, you'll tell me the HTS doesn't have any RCA Audio inputs to connect up with....and that's too bad, because that is your guaranteed fix to your problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am attempt to match dialog with lip movement. It just looks like I am watching a dubbed tv show. I using HDMI and optical connections. So, basically am I out of luck?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

So you don't have the option on your HTS of using RCA Audio INPUTS??

That would FIX your problem, because there is no DIGITAL delay with Analog Audio and Video connections....

You DO have one on your HTS --

graphic

So this is what you do ---

Get a set of component cables like these at any store like Walmart --

graphic

Leave everything else connected as is.....

ADD these cables to the Cable box's Component OUTPUTs, then take the Red and White AUDIO cables and connect those to the HTS's AUDIO IN, ok?

THEN connect the 3 Video lines left over to one of the TV's COMPONENT input jacks -- Connect the Green, Blue and Red ones that are sequential (one right next to each other) and that will be UNDELAYED VIDEO AND AUDIO !

You won't get the lag if you select that AUDIO IN on the HTS and the COMP IN on the TV set !

You can also leave the AUDIO IN set on your HTS -- And TRY the TV's HDMI to see if there is lag there or not. There may be some lag, but if there is, you just switch your TV back to the COMP input, ok?

That will stop the cable box's lagging, you'll also have excellent picture with the HDMI and TV speakers, and of course your DVD signals work fine with the HDMI input on your TV too !

So watching Cable on your TV set will now give you choices -- When you want the Home Theater sound, you select the Component input cable to deliver sound to your Home theater, and your picture to the TV's Component Inputs you have connected too.

Hope you understand that this is still HD, but not HDMI....you get MINOR loss of detail, like a leaf may have 7 viewable veins on it with HDMI, and Component may deliver about 5 Viewable veins (saw that in a side by side demo of the two)

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i already have rca cables in the back of my cable box connected to the tv. i also have a digital coaxial cable connected from my cable box to my hts. when i use the digital coaxial cable there is a sound lag. however, when I use the audio rca cables and plug them into the audio in jack of my hts, there is no sound.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

I think the RCA audio input on your HTS uses another INPUT selection, so you have to change the setting on the HTS...I'm pretty sure of that.

I take it that the RCA from cable box to TV didn't have the lag, and if so, then moving them over to the HTS should also give you lagless sound too.

That optical cable connection is the source of lag, so we want to bypass that setup completely and deliver the Cable signal to the HTS using it.

All we gotta do is find out how to turn on the RCA inputs on the HTS system.

If you can't find a separate input, then the Optical INPUT might just have a selection between RCA and Optical on it.

If so, we select RCA in the HTS menu....

I can check that out if you want....

Here it is....

graphic

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please. Also, thank you for all your time and effort!
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ooops, you just responded while I found out how to make your Audio IN jacks work...you're too FAST for me.

Anyways, here's the way to use those jacks....

graphic

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.