Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have a Mitsubishi 73 inch DLP TV, Model # WD-73733 and after

I have a Mitsubishi 73 inch DLP TV, Model # XXXXX and after 3 years, a few white dots have started to appear on the screen. They are bright at first and then diminish but are still visiable. What's going on with my TV and how do I fix it?

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the dots are there all the time no matter whether it's a dvd or TV or a game. The latest one twinkles like a star and from what I have read on the internet, it looks like one of the tiny mirrors is acting up. Now, I also just replaced the light bulb, but that was back in November and these dots just started to appear 2 weeks ago.

This is not good, you have a bad light engine and it will need to be replaced to fix the problem. The bad news continues from here however because to replace this will run over $1000.

This is a common issue in your set, we see it quite often I am afraid...the only bit of advice I could give would be to contact Mitsubishi and see if they will help you out in any way on the repair.

I am sorry I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, but it will require engine replacement to get the set correct again. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to make sure I haven't missed anything, this problem has nothing to do with me changing the bulb? My wife thought that I must have let some dust in even though I assured her that I didn't think so and it took me 4 or 5 tries to get the component on the track when I reinserted it.

No, sorry this has nothing to do with you or the bulb, it was most likely just a coincidence or bad timing. You can let her know you had nothing to do with it. ;)