Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Flatscreen Sceptre TV won't turn on.

37 inch flatscreen Sceptre won't turn on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When you plug it in or turn it on, does it do anything at all? (light blink, click noise, ect.)

-How old is the unit?

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The TV does not do anything when we press the on button. We purchased the unit at Costco in January 2010, this happened a month after the warranty expired.

Thank you

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Any storms or power issues lately?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, we're in San Diego!

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

With a completely dead set like this it is possible to have a bad AC fuse, but it is almost unheard of without a power issue or a storm, since you haven't had any I doubt that is your issue but if it was you would be looking at around $100.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!