Martin, Technician
Experience:  Studied video technologies before university. I still fix TV's in spare time.
14666028

My Apex tv, Model PF2425, has the child lock key displayed

My Apex tv, Model PF2425, has the child lock key displayed in lower left corner. We did this by pushing the AT&T Uverse remote too much causing the problem. Now, using the Apex remote, the instructions say to hold down the "F" button and then push the Mute button. This does not work. We put new batteries in the remote. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tim,

It is about 5 years old. Only a U-verse box is hooked to it and it cannot display anything because the TV child lock is on. Nothing can be seen on this tv except the key in lower left corner.

Thanks,

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I cannot find a manual on this set, let me see if any other experts have one.

Tim

Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Hello i have the service manual. I might help you but before that i ask you to promise me to not touch anything else from what i will tell you or you can mess up the TV. Just tell me you understand this and i will give you the information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Martin,

Yes, that's fine. So you know, we have tried holding down the F button and then pressing Mute, to no avail.

We will not touch anything else other than what you tell us.

Thanks,

Cliff Russell

Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
The remote may have a trouble with the F button or the mute, so i will make you enter the service menu.

1- decrease the volume to 0 with the remote.
2- press [mute] on the remote and [video] on the TV at the same time. "S" should appear on the TV and you then enter service menu.
3- use the up down left right arrow to navigate and change the value.
4- The value to change is the V-CHIP one in menu 12 (i can't tell you much on how this look on screen as i don't have an APEX tv here), it will have a 0 or a 1. You need to change it.
5- press the power button on the remote to exit the service menu mode.

Tell me if this helped.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Martin,

Sorry, no luck yet. I pushed the decrease-volume button on the remote(the Apex remote, not the U-verse remote) several times to take it to zero, although I could not see this on the screen due to the problem.

Then I followed Step 2 exactly but "S" never appeared. The key still is in left corner.

I unplugged the U-verse box just in case it was interfering and then repeated the above but to no avail.

We normally use only the U-verse remote to turn on the tv and adjust the volume. Should we try using it for the above steps?

Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Any remote would do, only the F button is specific to apex remote. Usually entering a service menu over write any other protection. Perhaps the problem is with the MUTE button on the Apex remote.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried with the U-verse remote, pressing its Mute button and the Video button on tv at same time. No luck. Still have the key in lower left corner. What else can we do? Thanks
Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
I assume you pressed them at the same time and long enough. I looked pretty much all the data i have to find some kind of reset and can't find any. The AT&T Uverse remote may have been just a coincidence and something might be wrong with the power level in the TV or with the EEPROM chip. You could still try to let the TV without the power cord for a full day (it might do the trick). Fixing that may not be obvious (because of part availability), you may contact them to get a place close to you that would work on it 1-866-4APEXGO (1-866-427-3946) Toll-Free 8am - 8pm Daily. Changing for a new TV might be to consider.
Martin, Technician
Experience: Studied video technologies before university. I still fix TV's in spare time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Martin,

Thanks for all your help. We will turn off the tv for a day and see what happens. You had more good ideas than anyone. We appreciate your efforts and we are accepting your answer. Thanks,

Cliff