Steve, Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics

mitsubishi rear projection-black specks all over the screen.

mitsubishi rear projection-black specks all over the screen. What is causing this?
Hello, are these specks on other inputs (DVD, game system, etc.), and the TV Menu?

Are they about the size of a pencil lead, and do they stay in the same place?

What is the purchase date (or close guess)?

Edited by Steve on 2/6/2011 at 2:39 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are on the TV menu. We have no game system.
There are small rectangular flicks, like paint chips.
There do not move.
We bought it about two year ago
Okay, thank you. Unfortunately, I do not have good news... The problem you are seeing is caused by "stuck" mirrors on the DMD (digital micromirror device) in the optical engine. I have seen this problem on Mitsubishi and many other brands of DLP TVs, as well. Perhaps Texas Instruments (the maker of the DMD) had a bad batch at one time (?).

Each spot (pixel) that you view in the picture is made by a single mirror moving back and forth on the DMD. In total, there are over a million of these tiny mirrors, and the black spots you see are those mirrors that have stuck in the "Off" position. Most of these I have seen are a bit elongated, so I suspect two (or more) mirrors have actually stuck to one another. Here are two images to help show what happens on the DMD:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

To correct this problem the optical engine in the TV must be replaced. However, the repair cost is quite high: The Mitsubishi replacement retails for $1082.40, plus shipping, tax, and labor. Usually labor is in the $200-300 range (in my area). If needed, the part number for the optical engine is: 938P075040. You may be able to find less expensive optical engines on the internet, but these engines could be a gamble, so please use caution if shopping for a lower price.

I recommend contacting Mitsubishi Consumer Relations at (NNN) NNN-NNNN to ask (emphatically insist) that they cover the cost of the repair. They may very well supply the optical engine at no charge, with you paying the labor; but, it doesn't hurt to keep trying for the labor cost, too. Please remember you paid a premium price for a premium brand TV that has lasted only two years (2007 model). You may need to be insistent, and make several calls, but Mitsubishi is well known for being very helpful (hint).

Important: Usually Mitsubishi requires one of their authorized servicers to check the TV on-site first, before they will offer a concession (even though they will already know exactly what is wrong with it). Usually Mitsubishi requires a written estimate and a copy of the bill of sale faxed to them to review (the representative will give the specific fax number).

If needed, your nearest authorized Mitsubishi servicer can be found by entering your information on this page:

This may not have been what you were wanting to hear, but this is the truthful answer. If I can be of further help by offering more information about this, please let me know.