Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My Flat panel Vizio TV has sound but no picture.

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Jack :

Hi and thank you for using justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Jack :

Did the picture turn off while watching it or when your turned the tv on ?

Jack :

Did you have any sign of this problem prior to this ?

Jack :

I will wait for a while to see if you become available for chat, just send me a reply and i should be with you within a couple of minutes.

Customer :

The picture did not come on . i was not the one who first noticed it though.

Customer :

There were no previous signs.

Customer :

Sorry for the delay in responses. I am currently in Turkey and it is late.

Jack :

So i guess the tv is not nearby ?

Jack :

That would be for a few test.

Customer :

Hello Sir. I am back on line... The tv is nearby

Jack :

o.k can you give me a minute ?

Customer :

Sure.

Jack :

o.k thank you

Jack :

Are you back from Turkey ?

Customer :

No Sir. I am US Military stationed here.

Jack :

o.k ;no problem

Jack :

You have your own base tv station ?

Customer :

Something like that. Armed Forces Network broadcasts through the overseas community

Jack :

O.k it does`nt really matter anyway, was just curious about the broadcasting system.

Jack :

But to get back to your tv;

Jack :

It still has the no picture with sound issue ?

Customer :

Yes Sir.

Jack :

O.k then, When you turn the tv off and on , does the screen light up or has a background light even though it has no picture ?
It helps to be in a darkened room to see it.

Customer :

Yes there is a background light

Jack :

O.k then it means the power supply circuit and the backlight inverter is working

Jack :

unfortunately it also means the lcd controller or main board may be defective.

Jack :

Can you see the menu ?

Customer :

no sir

Jack :

Can you give me a minute again ?

Customer :

Yes Sir

Jack :

back

Customer :

I'm here Sir

Jack :

Your problem is internal and will require removing the back cover.
You will need a multimeter to make some tests, can you get a hold of that ?

Customer :

I think I may have a multimeter. I do have a question though. This TV is under warranty, but I'm not sure how it works because I am overseas...

Jack :

Was the tv bought in the US ?

Customer :

Yes.

Customer :

I don't know if Vizio has any service centers over here though

Jack :

Then it would need to be returned here for service or replacement.
How long since it was bought ?

Customer :

It was purchased a little over a year ago

Jack :

Then i don`t think it is still under warranty but i could check

Jack :

It has a 1 year parts and labor warranty.

Customer :

My wife bought the extended warranty...

Jack :

O.k then it would be bought from the store and that same store would have to be contacted for warranty details or again there would be some paperwork that would explain the procedure and contact number.

Jack :

These extended warranty are usually sould separately from the manufacturer`s warranty and have to be claimed locally.

Customer :

Great... my wife is out of town currently, so I will have to get in contact with her about the whereabouts of the warranty info. I apologize for consuming so much of your time..

Jack :

Thats no problem soldier and you will receive an email after this chat is closed and there will be a link to get back to me anytime if you have any questions.

Jack :

The first thing to do will be to locate that paperwork.

Customer :

Unfortunately Turkey has some very difficult rules and I don't think I can send this back to the states.

Jack :

No Army transport planes ?

Jack :

Or you can`t use it for your own business ?

Customer :

The problem is the Turkish Gov't will not allow it without clearing it through them

Jack :

I see then we may be back into trying to repair this ?

Jack :

Try to see what can be done and we`ll take it from there.

Customer :

Alright then I will have to get back to you tomorrow sir. I really appreciate your help.

Jack :

No problem, what i will do now is close this chat and you will get an email with a link to get back to me when you`re ready.

Customer :

Yes Sir. I will accept on this end.

Jack :

If you want to or you can wait , in any case check your emails in a couple of minutes.

Jack :

Talk to you soon

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

We are now in Q&A mode.

You can get back to me when you`re ready by using the link.

Be waiting for your reply.

By the way; it looks like our email system is not up to par today , so it may be a little while before you get this.

Edited by Jack on 2/3/2011 at 6:35 PM EST