TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I just installed a Samsung 40" TV in my RV. I plugged the

Customer Question

I just installed a Samsung 40" TV in my RV. I plugged the audio out into the rca plug going to the external speakers. I get good sound, but I am not able to adjust the volume. Is there a setting I'm missing that would allow me to adjust the volume on external speakers?
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Yes, there is.

=

When Speaker Select is set to External Speaker, the

volume and MUTE buttons will not operate and the

sound settings will be limited.

=

When Speaker Select is set to TV Speaker your TV's volume button will control both the amp and the TV's speaker volume

Example - TV Speaker: On , External Speaker: On --both will be adjustable with the TV remote.

=

That is the way that Samsung built this TV set.

=

To access this setting --

=

Select the Menu button, move the arrow down to highlight the SOUND icon, press the enter button.

Press the arrow down button to select Speaker Select -- press enter, then select TV speaker, and press enter.

=

You will now be able to adjust the speaker's volume with the TV's volume control.

=

Tips are greatly appreciated !

=

Thank you.

=

=

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Your answer mis not correct. When both the tv speakers and the external speakers are on, the volume control only regulates the tv speakers...the external speakers remain at a constant level. Likewise, when the tv speakers are off, the external speakers still remain at a constant level. The volume control on the tv does not change the external speakers whether the tv speakers are on or off. Is this correct, or is there a setting to change this? is no setting changes this, what do I need to make it work?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

I guess Samsung's instructions are incorrect then.

These external speakers -- are they connected to an amplifier or are they speakers with the amp built into it?

They have to be one or the other for you to get sound to the speakers. The TV isn't providing the amplification.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure. If there is an amplifier, it is out of sight. The speakers are small cube speakers (4"x4"x4" or so), so I would guess that there is a separate amp that I can't see.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

So really all you got is two RCA plugs hanging out where the TV goes, and plugging them in has been a disappointment with the Samsung, right? Is it LOUD at least?

=

Got the Answer for you...Sony Builds TV sets that allow you to turn off the TV speakers and have ADJUSTABLE Audio. That's the Answer that will FIT your needs.

=

We could sit here all day and WISH Samsung would work like a Sony does...but the reality is Sony fits your needs. Anything else is jury-rigging. That's my answer.

=

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

=

Thank you.

=

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess I'm not satisfied with your answer. In fact I'm a little put off by your tone. You expect me to go and buy a new tv just to solve the problem? Maybe you can afford it, but not me. I bought the Samsung because Sony, to my knowledge and from all my shopping around, does not make an LED LCD (thin profile) which I need because of the room limitations in the RV. I needed a solution to my current question and the one you provided does not meet my expectations.

Thanks for trying.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Of course you're not satisfied, who would be. You want your Samsung to work the way you want it to, and my solution doesn't fit your need.

=

Actually it does, Sony makes a TV set with the circuitry that will do EXACTLY what you want it to do. Samsung doesn't make it on that model.

=

Tell me, did you have a Thin Profile TV set in your RV before you got the Samsung? How could you, this is the First Year they've been made.

You can't afford it? You OWN an RV.

=

Look, I can't make you accept my answer, but your not going to be happy with the Samsung when you expect it to have an adjustable volume output on the back of it.

Anything else I suggest is going to be a substandard setup, and I will not suggest anything of that sort.

Now you did state you "just installed" that TV set, I have to assume you "just bought it".

And if you did, you can certainly take it back to the store you purchased it at, and upgrade. Sony isn't that much more costly, and it will do what you want it to do.

Thin profile shouldn't be that much of a deal breaker...you're only talking about the difference of one inch to 3 inches thick.

And yes, Sony makes them if they are a deal breaker.

=

Listen, my Dad told me years ago to never buy a car you won't be happy with...he was right. I learned my lesson the hard way, and all I can do is pass on that to you. What you do is your choice, all I can do is suggest the solution.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your time.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

You're welcome. Sorry Samsung doesn't do what you want it to do.