Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have an Olevia 542-B12 LCD HDTV. It will not power up. When

I have an Olevia 542-B12 LCD HDTV. It will not power up. When I initially plug the power cord in, the blue light next to the power button on the front of the tv will blink once, then nothing. When this happened previously, I killed the power, held the power button in for 10-15 seconds, then plugged the cord back in and held the power button in for 10-15 seconds again. This worked for a day or two. Now it no longer responds to this "hard reset". I am thinking that I need a new power supply board but don't know the procedure for testing it. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hi there,
To test your power supply will require a digital multimeter to take voltage readings.
Do you have a multimeter to carry out some tests?

Electronics Pete :

The most common fault with these power supplies is faulty capacitors, which can easily be replaced by an electronics technician using a soldering iron.

Electronics Pete :

It is likely that some capacitors have started to fail previously, leading to your intermittent fault, and they have now totally failed, preventing your TV from powering on.

Electronics Pete :

This is quite a common problem in these LCD TVs, and TV repair technicians are very familiar with repairing or replacing these power supplies.

Electronics Pete :

If you decide you need to replace the power supply, the part number for it is FSP271-4F02.

Electronics Pete :

These are available at a special price of $74.95 from http://www.shopjimmy.com/fsp-fsp271-4f02-power-supply-42-olevia-models.htm

JACUSTOMER-zpau0ti7- :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I do have a digital multimeter and I can solder as well. It would be great if I could replace a capacitor instead of the entire board. That is a very good price on the board. However, if you could explain the tests that I need to conduct, I would like to try that first. Again, Thanks!

Electronics Pete :

First, you can have a look for any obvious signs of bulged or leaking capacitors on the power board.

Electronics Pete :

If you see any damaged capacitors, these will need to be replaced.

Electronics Pete :

To check voltages on the board you will need a service manual or schematic diagram, which unfortunately I don't have here. This will tell you the correct voltage at different areas of the circuit board, and you can then test the board to verify if it is working correctly or not.

JACUSTOMER-zpau0ti7- :

Thanks Pete. I've decided to order the board and go from there. I appreciate the help