TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

I have a toshiba regza, the screen has frozen and will not

Customer Question

I have a toshiba regza, the screen has frozen and will not respond to my harmony 530 or manual pushing of the buttons on the side panel. I can turn the tv on and off, but it comes back on to to the guide screen, there is no sound either. Under normal circumstances it resets to chanel 10 when turned on. Turning it on and off isn't resetting it. All other systems are intact, I can turn the stereo on and off with harmony, and I have run it through the trouble shooting process with the remote and it still won't reset. It was working fine and then when changing the channels using the cable guide channel it froze and won't take any commands. The set is about 3 years old. Any idea what may be wrong?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

-Is it frozen on the guide screen for a cable/satellite box?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry it isn't located near the computer! the model # XXXXX and it is a 2007 and is connected to a cable box. Thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Is the cable box guide the one frozen on the screen?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is froze in the guide screen on channel 124, however, in the upper part of the screen it shows channel 12. When I was changing the channels one by one, nothing was appearing on the screen so I changed to the guide station, it appeared but wouldn't allow me to navigate, I was going to enter another channel and it took the first 2 digits 1 and 2, but wouldn't proceed and would not accept anymore signals other than to turn it off and on.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

If you press the menu button on the side of the tv, the menu does not show up?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just turned it back on and checked, HD1 color stream appears momentarily. I had pushed it previously and a menu appeared to change some settings, but I did not change anything.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

So the menu is still showing up if you press the menu button?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, just checked it again. It does show up.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Ok, do you have anything else hooked to this tv like a DVD player?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it is hooked to a SONY surround system with a DVD/CD/Stereo system. I tested the stereo and it is working with the remote.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

If you change to the right input does it show the picture from the DVD ?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are working with a real technophobe here! I'm not sure what you mean? Do you want me to put a DVD in and see if the picture changes? That may take me a few minutes, but I will do that if that is what you are asking me to do?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I want to see if you can play a dvd on the tv....sorry.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just tried and the DVD player works, but nothing changes with the screen. I should be able to just put one in and select it from the remote and begins. It moved forward on the player, but the screen remains frozen.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Do all your components run to the tv through the receiver?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm getting my exercise! Yes, as far as I can tell they do and all connections are secure. The tv had been working fine, then I was changing the channels one at a time, paused and lost the picture and sound. Oddly though the text denoting the channel selection and what was on the that station remained at the bottom of the screen, I was able to switch to the guide station thinking that something was wrong with the cable service and that is when it completely froze. are you able to draw any conclusions at this point?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Honestly I think I am more confused than you are....

I need to know, is your cable box and dvd player directly hooked to the tv or are they hooked to a receiver that hooks to the tv?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The cable connection comes from outside into the cable box and from the cable box goes directly to the tv. The tv cables are then connected from itself to the receiver. The receiver doesn't receive anything directly from the cable box.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

I am thinking you might have a bad cable box here, have you tried unplugging the power going to the box and plugging it back in?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you are the expert! I did just that and plugged it back in, it rebooted and is working fine at the moment. Do you recommend I get a new box from the cable company? Thank you very much!