TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.

The background audio such as music is louder than the audio

Customer Question

The background audio such as music is louder than the audio portion.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like your MTS or SAP mode is active, and you want to turn it back to the Stereo mode.

Depending on your setup, the TV will have it's MTS /SAP active if you are recieving TV stations, not the inputs.

If you are using a Cable or Satellite box, then that unit is actually responsible for the MTS /SAP mode.

That mode is directly associated with tuning the TV channels, so if you are using the TV remote to change the channels and you hear very little voice, your MTS/SAP is turned on in your TV set.

If you are using a Cable or Satellite remote to change the channels, then the MTS/Sap setting is in the Cable or SAT box.

If you are using a VCR to change the TV channels, it's associated directly with that.

So, here's how you get into the TV and set it correctly ---

That's all you should have to do to get rid of the loud background sounds, and restore the Voices.

Here's the reason why.....

Those background sounds are pre-recorded on the SECOND AUDIO PROGRAM (SAP) Track....

Now when nobody has ADDED spanish or french to the 2nd Audio track, you get NO voice ! Plenty of background audio, but NO VOICE.

Now, that SAP is actually controlled by the tuner, so the signal comes from the unit that you are changing the channels on....not just the TV, but ANY DEVICE used to change the Channels !

So it's simple to find the problem simply by looking at what remote you have to use to change the TV channels !

The SAP/MTS is turned off by that same remote control !

Simple eh? At least for me it is.

Hope I helped you understand.

If you have any questions, just ask

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Edited by TV Tech1 on 1/23/2011 at 11:28 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have tried what you suggested but could not resolve the problem. I have called a Comcast technician and he will be coming to the house to try to correct the situation.

Thanks for trying. Since your suggestion did not help, do I still have to pay?

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 5 years ago.

Tell you what....hold off until the Comcast Tech gets out there and checks his equipment.

I do know that your issue is SAP / MTS related, because I have had customers with your same exact problem. The KEY is finding out if it's turned on in your TV or turned on in the Comcast box.

Now, there are SOME stations that actually have the SAP pilot signal active. If it's active, it turns on the SAP audio track. That's when you get only the background music and very LITTLE voice track.

Now, if you change the TV channel on the cable box, you should find several TV stations that DON'T have the SAP pilot signal active ! On those stations, you will hear NORMAL Audio with voices.

That is the test I run when customer state what you stated.

At that point in time, if I'm right....then YOU decide if my knowledge helped you. If you find out the Comcast Tech can't fix your Audio, then get back with me. I can look up the part number for the MAIN board which has the entire Audio circuit on it.

That part is easily replaced by you...

So, don't pay until the issue is resolved, then you can decide if I was worth it, ok?

And knowing that you have a Comcast cable box -- their audio is the one set to SAP, not your TV's.

Remember what I said about the SAP is decoded by the TUNER? Your cable box is the Tuner in your setup !

Edited by TV Tech1 on 1/24/2011 at 11:21 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The problem was with the DVR itself and a technician has replaced it.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 5 years ago.

That's a new one...your cable box's SAP mode must have been active, but locked too.

Cable boxes are programmable, and something must have affected the EEprom in that cable box ! Cable boxes don't have a SAP adjustment in the menu or a button on the remote control to adjust it.

That's the TV set's responsibility.

If you had a power glitch, that could have triggered the Sap circuitry in the box.

That's the only logical conclusion, and why your cable tech had to swap it with an new box.

Very unusual....