James, Technician
Experience:  AV Service Engineer (4 Years)

i have an olevia lcd model #242-s11 and one day it just stoped

i have an olevia lcd model #242-s11 and one day it just stoped turning on sumtimes the blue power light is on but not most of the time what can i do by the way the tv is only 13 months old
Category: TV
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Hi There,

Chances are there is a problem with the power supply board in the TV.

The only thing I would suggest is to leave it unplugged for 24hrs then try turning it on again. This has the effect of discharging all of the capacitors within the unit, and effectively soft rebooting the unit.

What to do next depends entirely on whether you want to try and fix it at home, and have a good multimeter and are comfortable with soldering. If you are then let me know and I'll tell you what to look for. Otherwise you'd be best off taking it to a local electronics repair shop.

Typically the some of the capacitors on the board can go faulty.

Alternatively, if you have had it for less than a year, take it back to the place you bought it from and have them deal with it.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hay thanks for gettin back to me this was an ongoing thing at first if u shut it off it would take sum time to start back up as time went on it wont start at all sence then i picked up a sony much happer with that unit but lets get back to the olevia i am very talented with my hands i bleve i can do the work just need to be told or better is i had a trouble shooting guide i can fix it but i dont so if you can point me to the correct path
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Hi There,

The best thing to do in that case is to take the case of the back of the TV, and find the PSU board, it will be the board where the power cable from the wall connects to.

Have a look at the board and check all of the capacitors, they should have a completely flat top and should not be leaking any liquid. I've attached a picture below of a bulging capacitor which would need to be swapped out.

If you do find some then let me know, as it means my diagnosis was correct, you can then either buy a complete replacement board, or swap the capacitors out yourself. Make sure the replacements are of the same capacitance, if you can fit them in there, use a slightly higher voltage as they will last a little longer.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i have 5 that are buldging there too close to board to see leaking what numbers do i need to buy a replacement board and where can i get it online that u would use
Expert:  James replied 5 years ago.
Hi There,

You can buy a replacement board from eBay :-

I'd usually recommend for this kind of thing, but they are out of stock on that particular board.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hay thanks to tell u the truth i was thinking this was a waste but u deff changed my mind.

ok so what makes the power supply go bad is it going to happen a month after i install it

can i find the capacitors at my local raido shack