Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.

I have an Hitachi ultravision TV 50v500. The lamp in the TV

I have an Hitachi ultravision TV 50v500. The lamp in the TV failed and I now have a new one installed. When I turn on the TV the blue and Red LED lights at the botXXXXX XXXXXght and then go out and the lamp light blinks.

I understand that since the previous lamps blew that the TV may be in some kind of safety mode. However I don't have the manual for the TV so I don't know how to reset the TV

Could you help me.

Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.

Have you double checked the door, that you open, to replace the lamp? There is a switch on the door to enable the lamp - and if the switch is not closed/door secured properly - the lamp will not start.

Double check that and let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I presume that the switch is closed by the tab on the upper left that inserts into a hole as you put that door back in place. If that's the right door (the one that is on the outside of the compartment where the lamp is installed then its definitely in place.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.

These can be finicky. Try this - power off and remove the AC cord from the wall. Open the door again, and pull and reinsert the lamp. Make sure the screws hold the lamp in are firmly tightened. Replace the door, and the tab that goes into the slot, wiggle it a little before screwing down the door.

Plug it back in, the power on and see if the same lights come on. If I am interpreting the lights coming on you mentioned correctly, that is the ballast trying to fire the lamp. Do they go for about six cycles then stop?

Edited by Rod on 1/21/2011 at 8:47 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tried reinserting the lamp and made sure the outside door tripped the switch in the little slot on the upper left. Did that twice--no change in the TV's behavior. The 3 lights go on and then the lamp light continues to blink as long as the TV is plugged in.
Expert:  Rod replied 5 years ago.

There is a possibility that the ballast has failed. But there is one more thing to try, before we go that route.

On the door to the lamp - remove the door, and place a piece of black tape over the tab - such as a "V" on the tab - trim the edge to fit the tab. Place it back and see if that will correct the problem. Sometimes the micro switch will not sense the tab and not activate - believe it or not - this is a Hitachi service bulletin.

Cause: Check the door lamp switch & lamp pwr switch, boss on the door or lamp assy may not close switch. apply tape to boss

(no need to accept again)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.