Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert
47322625

I have had a Pioneer PRO 1130HD 50 plasma with detached Media

I have had a Pioneer PRO 1130HD 50" plasma with detached Media Receiver R06U since late 2005 with no problems. Today, when powered on, the top half of the screen is black, with the bottom half of the screen working properly.

Do you know what is causing this problem. If so, is it in the display itself, or in the media receiver, and is it something that can be fixed? If it can be fixed, is this perhaps something I perform myself, or do you suggest I bring it somewhere?
Category: TV
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Silicon Savant :

Hi there happy to help.

Silicon Savant :

First thing to do is run some test to locate where the problem is.

Silicon Savant :

Please take one of your video sources, Blue Ry, Satellite Box etc.......and conect directly to the TV without using the R06U.

Silicon Savant :

Have the receiver completely disconnected from the TV when you do this.

Silicon Savant :

Report back results.

Silicon Savant :

If the screen is OK, when conected directly to your components without the receiver, then the proble is the receiver. This will be good news.

Silicon Savant :

If the screeen still has the same issue, then the problem is with the TV.

Silicon Savant :

If it does turn out to be the TV itself you are looking at having to replace a board or possibly 2 inside the TV. It could be the y drive board, or the upper scan driver board.

Silicon Savant :

This is something a qualified technician will have to troubleshoot in person.

Silicon Savant :

Probably looking at 400-600 dollars for the repair.

Silicon Savant :

To answer your last question, I suggest you have it repaired somewhere. If we knew exactly waht the problem was, I would say it woul dbe possible to fix yourself, however, since the problem needs soe detailed diagnoses this really isn't a good do-it-yourself candidate.

Silicon Savant :

Hope this helps,

Silicon Savant :

If this answer helped you please click the ACCEPT button.

Customer :

Thank you for the reply. The model PRO-1130HD is actually comprised of two components that are sold as one. The media receiver, PRO-R06U, has all of the inputs. The display panel, PRO-506PU, has just two proprietary inputs for the provided white and black cables that connect it to the media receiver, plus it's own power supply.

Customer :

When I turn off all the sound I noticed today that the display is making an intermittent crackling sound coming from the top right side of the panel when facing the screen. Between the blank top half of the screen and the half screen image I see on the bottom, there is a faint green line that fluctuates between several green dots and what is almost a thin solid line. Hope that added info is of some use. Thank you.

Silicon Savant :

Right my recommendtion is the same. Connect a component directly to the TV without the PRO-R06U. Preferrably through the HDMI connection.

Silicon Savant :

Yes ok the problem is your TV.

Silicon Savant :

See my recommendations above.......

Silicon Savant :

If I could also ask how old this TV is?

Customer :

It is a generation 6 in Pioneer's classification. I purchased it in December 2005. Also, there are HDMI inputs on the media receiver, but none on the display itself. Of the two cables that are both used to connect the two devises, one appears similar to the older DVI plug I have on an older plasma I own, but the other one is something I've never seen. If someone can confirm that one of the two cables pioneer uses is indeed a standard DVI, I can test a direct connection for the video using a HDMI to DVI cable I have. This would work for testing only since the cable doesn't support copy write protection detection and won't allow me to access protected content.

Silicon Savant :

Yes this will cabe work, you won't have sound, but it doesn't matter for the sake of the test. With your extra description of the problem, I am fairly certain the problem is a failure in the TV.

Silicon Savant :

Let me know,

Silicon Savant :

If this answer helpd you please click the ACCEPT button.

Customer :

I could not get any picture at all when I connected directly from the output device to the panel. Furthermore, the media receiver device PRO R06U of the PRO 1130HD does not like when it is not connected via both cables to the panel PRO 506PU. It flashes a red light and is unresponsive to the remote, which is my interim dilemma until the above problem is repaired, as I describe below. This became apparent when after my test with the direct connect with the failing panel, I swapped in an older plasma and attempted to use the dvi output on the media player, since it was more accessible than the component video out jacks on my receiver/amplifier. I ultimately had to connect to my replacement tv via the component out on my receiver, and this works, but this created another problem related to my media receiver on the PRO-1130HD: With the media receiver detached from it's mate, it cannot relay the IR signal from my remote to the Pioneer Receiver via the iLink cable between them. Though I have an IR repeater receiver under my TV for the rest of my components, the reason I had the signal going through the cable from the media receiver is because my AV receiver/ amplifier stopped responding to input from remote about a year ago. Some searching on the internet led me to believe the IR sensor in the unit was shot, but this has not been confirmed.

Customer :

My AV Reciever/ Amp is the Pioneer VSX-74TXVi, by the way. Can you tell me what part I need to fix the sensor, or at least confirm it is the sensor based on the description? If so, and estimate of the cost of the part or the part and install if this is something I can't do myself, I would be very appreciative. Lastly, and I know this is unrelated to the original question, but I have never been able to use the HDMI ports on the VSX-74TXVi. I read somewhere that the version is not the current standard and somewhere else that there might be a way to fix this with a firmware update. Ive never updated any firmware since the device was new in late 2005. Am I missing anything by not doing so. Will an update cure the problem with the HDMI? Thank you very much. I look forward to accepting your next reply.

Silicon Savant :

OK, wow, took me awile to process all of that......

Silicon Savant :

First of the TV.....I stick by my original prognosis of a hardware failure on one of the boards.

Silicon Savant :

Now the sensor...

Silicon Savant :

The best way to tell if you have a sensor problem or a remote problem is to do the following......

Silicon Savant :

Using the camera function on your cell phone, point the remote in question(replace with new batteries first) at the phone and start pressing buttons you aren't sure are working.

Silicon Savant :

On the camera's screen, you should see flashes from the remote as the camera picks up the IR signal.

Silicon Savant :

If you see flashes, your sensor is the problem. If you don't see flashes, the remote is the problem. Simple as that.

Silicon Savant :

Now the receiver......

Silicon Savant :

Call the number here to have Pioneer send you the firmware upgrade to hopefully fix this.......

Silicon Savant :

The announcement above is almost 4 years old, but the number is XXXXX and they should still have the upgrade available for you.

Silicon Savant :

I can't say for sure it is 100% the fix, but definately the first thing to try.

Silicon Savant :

Good Luck,

Silicon Savant :

Silicon Savant :

UPDATE- Just did a little research on your HDMI problem.

Silicon Savant :

It is the first version of HDMI-> 1.1. This will NOT work with anything you have.

Silicon Savant :

Firmware will not fix it.

Silicon Savant :

I suggest just running digital audio, via otical or coaxial digital and bypassing any video signals around the receiver. It will still be a good receiver for you just don't pass video signals through it.

Silicon Savant :

Take Care

Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience: BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert