Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

I have a red shadow on my tv screen. I have tried auto convergence

I have a red shadow on my tv screen. I have tried auto convergence twice. How can i fix this??
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

What's the model number? Look on the back panel for this.

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, will do this

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Great. Let me know at your earliest convenience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

RT 39NZ43RB, its a big LG tv, with big base, flat looking screen & bulky back.

Hope that helps.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Okay... LG 39NZ43RB. Yes, that helps... thanks.

Your TV's convergence circuit has definitely failed. This is probably the most common issue with TVs of this type and age.

You see, your TV has 3 guns that project their colors (red, green, and blue) onto a mirror… which reflects the image onto the display. The convergence circuit pushes and pulls the colors into alignment so they “converge” at the same point. If the circuit fails, the colors separate… and the picture sometimes warps or bows at the edges.

The circuit is made up of a couple integrated circuits called “convergence amplifiers” (pictured below) as well as some resistors and pico fuses. All of these components are replaceable, if you’re good with a soldering iron. A DIY (do-it-yourself) project will run you $30-$60… a technician, $250-$350.

If you want to DIY, I’d check with these guys first. They have repair "kits" available so you won't have to piece together the individual components. Plus, their kits come with picture-based directions and free phone support. For $30-$60 (depending on your model)… that's a good deal. I suggest calling them... a lot of their kits aren't posted on the site.

Convergence amplifier:

Please click ACCEPT (even if you're a trial or subscription member) if you are 100% satisfied with my answer and plan on leaving me positive feedback (your acceptance is the only way I get paid for my work). A bonus would also be appreciated!

I'm sorry if my answer wasn't what you wanted to hear, but it reflects the most honest and accurate information available. I hope you take that into account when deciding whether or not to accept and leave positive feedback.

That said, if you aren't fully satisfied please do not accept my answer. Instead, let me know what else I can do for you!

Finally, please know that accepting my answer does not mean our dialog is over... you can still post follow-up questions or comments afterward.

Kindest regards,
Dan T.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WHAT?!?

NO NO NO!!! Has to be a another solution!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Its my ex's TV & he wants it back!! In working order!!

On another help site it said bout using the manual convergence manually changing it until it lines up the red. i cant find this to do this, only the auto.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
There is a manual adjustment, but that's not often used and is usually only performed after replacing the convergence chips I mentioned above. Before you do the manual adjust, you should run the horizontal & vertical raster, beam magnet, & focus adjustments. These are not easy. Maybe you should have a technician take a look?

Your ex should know that this isn't your fault. You didn't do anything to cause this, and there's nothing you could've done to prevent it. This is a very common problem with these projection TVs, especially the LG ones.

I'm sorry this wasn't the answer you were looking for... but I hope it helps you understand the issue. Please click "Accept" if you are satisfied with me and my answer (eventhough it might not have been what you wanted to hear).

Edited by Dan T. on 1/15/2011 at 3:07 PM EST
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.