Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

my tv wont turn on. when it was it made a snap sound when

Customer Question

my tv won't turn on. when it was it made a snap sound when you
turned it on and off.42" plasma
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Are you seeing any signs of life at all? Front panel LEDs, fans spinning.... or totally "dead"?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i plug it back in it snaps internally standby light in front comes on but no on off action
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Ok, the snap you're hearing is a relay clicking. That's a good sign.

Does the standby light flash? If so, how many flashes in between the pauses?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no flashes comes on steady right away
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Do you feel comfortable removing the back panel of the TV?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yeah im not scared i am a engineer on a fishing boat i play with generaters so this with wood be like a hand buzzer
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, good. Go ahead and remove the back panel. Then trace the input power cord to a circuit board inside... that'll be the main power supply. Then, unplug all other boards from the power board. Basically, I want the input voltage to come through the cord and dead end into the power board. Then, grab your multimeter set to VDC and measure all voltage test points you can find. Let me know if any are abnormal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok dan it'll take me awhile but i'll give you a shout when done thanx
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi dan cover is off not a 100% sure but seems ok checked with meter one fuse next to power in maybe
suspect i'm a little intimidated by all the wires
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

If you're getting a LED on the front panel, the power board fuse is good. Don't be intimidated... the test points will be labeled. Just be sure to unplug all other boards from the power board first. Then put your red lead on the test point, and the black lead on the chassis or back of the plasma panel. The test points will be something like "Vsus" or "Va" or "Vscn." The nominal values and tolerances will be on a sticker near the power board.

Let me know if any are abnormal.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all seem consistant vs 16mv va 2mv one marked vs on i get nothing
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Those are abnormally low... not even close to where they should be. Do you have the TV turned on when taking the measurements? It not, please turn the TV on then measure the test points.

Edited by Dan T. on 1/10/2011 at 6:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the power will not come on with everything you asked to unplug undone or should i say relay does
not go in
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks.

Plug the boards back in and test the voltages... let me know if any are abnormal.