Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

have a 55 inch Mitsubish TV. Screen has gone blue for all

Customer Question

have a 55 inch Mitsubish TV. Model WS-A55 Screen has gone blue for all inputs. Started with DVD and GAme and now TV sigal has gone to blue screen. Changed inputs and still only get blue screeen. Help
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 3 years ago.

Chuck Williams :

Hi!

Chuck Williams :

If you press the TV's MENU button (not a cable or satellite box menu), can you get the Mitsubishi menu to come on screen?

Customer : Yes
Chuck Williams :

Do you have any HD sources connected to the DTV input, and if so, is it also not working? Specifically, is a 1080i HD source in the DTV input also having this problem?

Customer : Yes. Stared with game input then DVD and now hd from cable box
Chuck Williams :

And specifically on an HD channel, correct? The reason I ask is because any signal that is not 1080i is processed by the TV's line doubler, which has been know to cause similar issues. 1080i also goes through the doubler, but is not processed by it, and is usually unaffected.

Chuck Williams :

Also, do you have any electronics experience and would be comfortable opening up the set?

Customer : Have not tried a hd channel specifically. In Ga and huge storm. Power is out right now so can't turn it on. Do not have electronics experience bit I can open the set. One of the blogs said to chick for moisture which I did and there was none
Chuck Williams :

OK, when you get your power back, specifically try tuning in an HD station that you know worked before and see if there is any difference.

Customer :

power is back on and still have blue screen

Customer :

on high def channel that is

Chuck Williams :

OK, so no video, including HD, on all inputs, but Mits menu will come on screen. Let me work on this for a bit and get back to you, but do you have any electronics experience and would be comfortable opening up the set?

Customer :

I can open the set

Chuck Williams :

OK, after looking over the technical info I'm guessing that the line doubler on this model most likely is not the cause of the problem, and the problem has to be either the Signal Board or the Input Terminal board (where the input jacks are). The Terminal board actually has lots of electronics on it, it's not just input jacks.

Chuck Williams :

The problem is there really is no way for you to determine which board is causing the problem, and the only thing you can do is try a new Terminal board and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, you have big problems because the Signal board is not available, and even if it were, you can't just drop a new one in and expect it to work. The Signal Board has a memory chip on it that has service settings that are unique to your TV, and a new board would have to be aligned with test equipment to get a correct picture on the set.

Chuck Williams :

But at least the Terminal board is fairly simple to replace, would you like to try that? I'll be offline for a few hours, but I'll be back later.

Customer :

does the new terminal board just slide in and the old one pulls out

Chuck Williams :

Pretty much. What you do is take the back off of the set, then remove the plastic panel that labels the input (and output) jacks, then that board just unplugs, so it's pretty easy.

Chuck Williams :

The part number is XXXXX and if you click on Encompass and log in as a guest, you can put that number in the part number box and order it.

Chuck Williams :

Let me know if you have any other questions, and thanks for using JustAnswer!