TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

The volume on our flat screen tv is not very loud even on full

Customer Question

The volume on our flat screen tv is not very loud even on full volume. what can we do.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

I have seen some cable boxes that have their own volume control...if your sound is low ONLY on that box, then you need to get out your Cable remote, set it to Cable/STB and TRY the volume control on the remote.

If it only operates your TV's Volume, then activate your Cable menu, and see if there is a Audio menu....If so, then LOOK for one of those settings to be the Volume adjust setting. Turn it ALL the way up on the Cable box and leave it there.

Now, as a test, you can check your DVD player's volume level and see if that's loud and the cable box is NOT loud. That would tell you that the box is the culprit, and not the TV set !

But if the DVD player's volume is low, then the TV has a problem with it.

To fix that, I would need you to get the FULL MODEL and the VERSION number off of the Tag that's located on the right side of the Cabinet -- it looks like this --

graphic

We have seen that issue on several boxes, mostly the Cable boxes. If the Cable box's volume is set to low, you end up cranking up the TV's volume to compensate and you never get it loud enough to satisfy you ! That's why you crank up the cable box's volume control and leave it there. It won't distort the signal if you do that.

Now, there's ONE MORE THING -- IF you had good volume, and SUDDENLY you have super-Weak volume in certain sections of the TV show (key point here!) THEN you may have activated the SAP/MTS button on your TV's remote control! Look for that button on your TV remote, press it, and you should set it for MAIN AUDIO, NOT SAP AUDIO.

If you have any questions, just ask

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Edited by TV Tech1 on 1/9/2011 at 12:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Your answer did not help as we are not on cable- we are on antenna. AS for the SAP/MTS button on the remote I did not find such a button.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Here you go -- this button will make SOME stations have no or Little sound if it's set to SAP -- you want to set it to STEREO.

graphic

Since you are not on cable, this is the only possibility that would affect the sound.

Check these settings in your sound menu too. They are known to cause audio problems in General, so check them --

graphic

Now, if that does not FIX your sound, then we will have to replace the Main board or the speakers -- Do you or did you play the sound real loud ? That wears out speakers fast.

And if you LISTEN to the weak sound, is it Clear when turned up? Or does it sound distorted when turned up? If it's distorted, the main audio amp is damaged, but if it's Weak, but Clear then the main amp is likely ok.

We have to know all that to determine which one has failed.

Edited by TV Tech1 on 1/9/2011 at 7:19 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
MTS says 1. English--This does not seem to be much help. Please discontinue advise as I feel I will need to contact someone who can see the set. Your advise did not help so I do not accept your answer.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Alright, then I won't give you the part number to fix it yourself.

Have a good day.