Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a Zenith R45W46 that was given to me if I can fix it.

Customer Question

I have a Zenith R45W46 that was given to me if I can fix it. The unit powers up but there is no picture and there was a loud popping sound. Upon inspection I found that one of the high voltage wires running to the bulb and burned a hole and was arching to the metal structure of the bulb. I moved the wore and put tape over the spot to see what happened but there is still no picture. Any ideas on what to check?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-If you turn a screen control up, do you get anything on the screen?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry but I am not sure what the screen control is or where to look. When I plug the set in there are no issues but when I power up the screen it makes the normal sound for power up but then continues to emit another sound that does not seem normal and then there is a slight odor from the back. All 3 of the bulbs are glowing at the bottom but there in no picture on the screen. The most experience I have with one of these rear projections is changing out the convergence chips on one...
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

You need to find the focus block, it is a square block with 6 knobs on it, normally mounted in the front of the tv. 3 of the knobs will be for SCREEN and 3 for FOCUS. you need to turn one of the SCREEN knobs up a little and see if anyhting shows up on the screen.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes - I was able to get a blue screen and then lines on the top but the set soon turned itself off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All 3 bulbs can clearly be seen working but there is no picture...what now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are there no experts that can assist?