Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

i have got a black line down the middle of my screen.

Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your problem, I will be happy to help. Please be aware that the procedures that are required to solve your problem can be complex and in some cases you will have to replace parts that may be expensive. Solving your problem depends on your ability to read user manuals, provide detailed responses, and following directions very carefully. The more information you can provide the better chance of solving your problem. I hope you find the information I provide valuable considering the average price of an in-home Tv diagnosis.

Please tell me what source devices you have connected to the Tv- cable box, sat box, RF antenna, dvd, bluray, etc?

Does the problem happen on all the inputs all source devices?

If you only have one thing hooked to the Tv, find something else to hook up and test the other inputs.

Usually a line defect is a major failure that requires an expensive repair. If you can answer the questions above I can help you more.

Thanks for using Just Answers.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
its a brown mark it looks like its on the inside of the screen, because its not there when the televisions off.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.

The more information you can provide the better chance of solving your problem.

What is the full model number of the Tv?

If you can answer the questions above I can help you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we have a dvd and a sat nav. i can not give the model number, the tellys to big for me to lift out and i am disabled.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.

This is gonna be very difficult if you cannot provide the model number.

Is the Tv a flat screen like LCD / Plasma, or direct view (tube), or is it rear projection?

How old is the Tv?

Does the problem happen on all the channels, inputs, and source devices?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
kdl-46v3000 flat screen. happens on all channels.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
kdl-46v3000 flat screen two to three years old
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 years ago.

Ok, that's an LCD. Like I mentioned before, usually a line defect is a major failure that requires an expensive repair. It is most likely the LCD Panel which is very expensive (usually more than a new Tv). What I recommend is you get an estimate from a local repair shop (costs about $120) and then call Sony and beg them to help with the cost of the repair even though it's out of warranty. If they won't help then it might be better to buy a new Tv.

Sorry for the bad news.

Mike G., Technician
Experience: 10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup