PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

How do I hook up an external drive to a Charter Motorola 6416

Customer Question

How do I hook up an external drive to a Charter Motorola 6416 DVR box?
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you out.

The following instructions need to be followed to hook up the DVR box to an external drive:

1. Connect the AC power cord to the external drive and plug the external drive’s AC power adapter into an electrical outlet.
2. Allow approximately 15 to 30 seconds for the external drive to reach operating speed.
3. Connect one end of the eSATA cable to your Motorola DVR cable box.
4. Connect the other end of the eSATA cable to the external drive.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

Please click the green ACCEPT button if you like my help. Please DO NOT ACCEPT IF you wish to leave a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always appreciated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's what I tried:
Turn off everything
Plug in eSATA drive
Turn on eSATA drive, waited 20 seconds
Turn on DVR...

Nothing happened, so I waited 2 hrs. Still nothing happens (4 college football games, 98% full -- the external drive is 1 TB, so it should have plenty of space.

Charter claims "it's been done" but they don't have any details...
Expert:  PramitP replied 3 years ago.
So, your external drive is detected by the system?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It doesn't appear to be, but I don't know of any way to see if it is other than checking for % used in the "My DVR" menu.
Expert:  PramitP replied 3 years ago.
You can see the DVR/HDD status using the Diagnostics menu.

To use the diagnostics:

1. Ensure that the DCH6416 is connected to an AC outlet.

2. Press POWER and immediately press SELECT to enable diagnostic mode. The
Diagnostics main menu is displayed on the OSD and “d01” is displayed on the
front-panel display:

You can use the following keys to navigate the diagnostics menus:

1. Press channel ?, channel ?, cursor ?, or cursor ? to select d01 through E.

2. Press cursor ?, cursor ?, select or enter to execute the selected diagnostic.

3. Select E from the main menu or press power to exit.

The DVR/HDD status must be option d13. See the usage and let me know.

Expert:  PramitP replied 3 years ago.
Try it out and let me know the DVR/HDD status details.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Power->Select doesn't seem to do anything if the unit is on or off...

I can pull up the setup menu by turning it off and pressing the Menu key, but that only lets me change TV type and Close Captioning.

I tried 5 or 6 times -- if off, it turns on and shows the program info-bar. If it was on, then it turns off and stays off... (if it makes any difference, I have a Mitsubishi TV connected via HDMI).
Expert:  PramitP replied 3 years ago.
The diagnostic menu should be displayed on the OSD in the front panel and nothing on the TV.