Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a regular Daewoo tv (not a flat screen) that has a problem.

I have a regular Daewoo tv (not a flat screen) that has a problem. A solid, black ,rectangular box has appeared covering the picture in the center of the screen. When trying to eliminate it, I noticed that the mute button removes it but then I have no sound. How can I get rid of the black box?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The tv is at my brother-in-law's assisted living facility so I won't be able to look for the model # XXXXX I visit him on Friday of this week. He only has Dish TV (satellite) and a DVD player hooked up to his tv. I've talked to Dish and they say it is a tv problem. When I visit him on Friday , I will check the model # XXXXX send it to you in an email.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Ok sounds good, thanks.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model number of the Daewoo tv is DTQ20U4SC

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like you probably have the closed caption on, the first thing you need to do is use the Daewoo remote and go into the menu to turn the closed caption to OFF, let me know if this fixes the issue or not.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On Friday my brother in law (the tv is at his assisted living facility) and I did make an attempt to see if it was a closed caption box on the screen and tried to turn cc off ( I thought we used the "settings" button on the remote, not the menu button?). However, we had no luck....we could not move the curser from the menu list, of which cc was listed, to the "cc off" position. In other words, we struck out trying that. Is there something we did wrong?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Was the remote you were using the originial DAEWOO remote?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it was the Dish remote

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

That would have been the issue, you need to use the Daewoo remote.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I will try that. Will the Daewoo remote still work even though the Dish remote is the primary remote?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Yes it will, it will still control the tv and get you into the tv menu.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The tv is at my brother-in-laws assisted living facility so I have not tried your suggestion as of yet. I visit him on fridays so I will be helping him with his tv tomorrow. I hope your suggestion will work and I am confidant that it will, but I won't know until I try it. I hope you will understand that until I the problem is solved, I cannot accept.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

ok sounds great, let me know when you visit him.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It worked...thanks. I see my credit card has already been charged $17. Do I still accept the answer even though my card has been charged already? Will I be charged twice?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Awesome news, if you are happy with my help then please press the accept button, it does not charge your card again it just sends your deposit that you paid my way.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.