Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

Vizio 32 HDTV picture is bad , looks like negative image.

Customer Question

Vizio 32" HDTV picture is bad , looks like negative image. Is it repairable?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Yes, it's reparable. Can you please tell me if all inputs are affected? DVD player, cable box, etc... everything look like a negative? Also, please bring up the TV's on screen menu... is it messed up, too?

Kindest regards,
Dan T.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes all inputs are affected including the screen menu
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks.

What you have here is a faulty panel controller (aka "t-con"). The t-con isn't really supposed to be sold by itself for these Vizio models... it should come as part of a new LCD panel. Though since a new panel would be far too expensive to be cost effective here ($520), you could try to just replace the t-con and see if it works. You can get a used t-con from for about $45. There are 2 possible part numbers for the t-con in your TV so you'd need to remove the back panel and have a look to be sure. The t-con will be connected directly to the panel, and would be at the very top of the panel in the dead center. Might be covered by a small metal shield, maybe not.

If the new t-con doesn't fix this, I'm afraid going any further wouldn't be cost effective since the only other fix here is to replace the whole LCD panel.

Let me know if you need anything else. Though if this information was helpful, please click "Accept"... it's the only way I get paid for my work. You can still post follow-up questions afterward.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to replace the "t-con" and see what happens.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, good luck & take care.

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have further questions. Doing so will only generate a request for me to reply.