TV Answerman
TV Answerman, Technician
Experience:  Licensed to work on all aircraft and shipboard electronic systems including radar displays

my 65 dlp 1080 hd mitsubishi tv started haveing white spots

my 65" dlp 1080 hd mitsubishi tv started haveing white spots on the left side of the screen and is progressivly getting worse . i can now see a distinct line in the spots about 5 to 6" inches from the left . my question ills how bad is it ? and i beleave the tv is about 3 years old
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Answerman replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.

Your DMD is most likely failing. The DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) is a small chip. In this case, it contains roughly a million micro-mirrors that make up the picture you see. CLICK HERE to go to a link that shows you the chip. Click on the video in the upper right hand side of the linked page.

That chip is actually part of the engine board. The board itself costs between $150-300, not counting labor to replace it.

I have a Samsung DLP. I'm awaiting my first dot as well. They seem to multiply rapidly after the first one appears.

Please don't forget to accept my answer unless you have further questions. I would be happy to assist you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can just the chip be replaced

It can, if you can locate it. But I wouldn't unless you've got a lot of practice soldering.