Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

My sony TV (KV32XBR400) wont turn on,it just clicks and the

My sony TV (KV32XBR400) won't turn on,it just clicks and the red light blinks 7 times..What seems to be the problem? Can I fix it myself? If I get it repaired,how much would it cost?
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 6 years ago.

Chuck Williams :

Hi!

Chuck Williams :

I'll bet I know what's wrong.

Chuck Williams :

You almost certainly have two IC's in the power supply that need to be replaced. Only one is causing a problem, but they should both be replaced.

Chuck Williams :

You may be able to make the set come on if you try the power button enough times, that's how the IC's behave.

Chuck Williams :

If you have electronics experience and can solder and unsolder electronics components, you might be able to do this yourself, but it's a fairly daunting challenge for the uninitiated.

Chuck Williams :

This set has them located on a double sided PC board (the D Board) and it is much more difficult to service than a single sided PC board. The service manual isn't clear exactly which sets have a double sided D board and which do not, but if memory serves me, yours does. If so, you need specialized desoldering equipment to remove the IC's, and frankly, many otherwise so-so TV shops can't handle this. It's the rare servicer who has the ability to do this with care and skill.

Chuck Williams :

When I encounter this board, I have to take the board away from the customer's home and work on it at my shop where I can do this procedure. Ballpark cost would be $350, and that's a little higher than it might be if it was a single sided PC board, because this board is so much more difficult to work on.

Chuck Williams :

But the parts are IC6501 and IC8002, located on the D Board, and the generic part number is XXXXX You can order it by that part number from MCM Electronics. The Sony part number is XXXXX

Chuck Williams :

One other possibility for you is to contact PTS Corp. or Tristate Module

and see if they can rebuild the board for you. In fact, I'm pretty sure they have these in stock, because this is a popular TV and this problem happens with some regularity.

Chuck Williams :

Hope that helps, let me know if you'd like more info on this, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Customer :

Hello Chuck,If I'm going to have it repaired by Sony or Sears,how much would it cost?

Chuck Williams :

It actually depends somewhat on if the servicer is going to fix the board or replace it. If he's going to fix the board, he's almost going to have to make two trips to your home, which is more expensive. But if he doesn't have the expertise to service this board, he will have to replace it. The board will run about $250, and labor would be probably another $250.

Chuck Williams :

If he fixes the board with 2 trips, a reasonable number might be just under $400.

Customer :

If I'm going to pay that much,I'd rather buy a new Flat screen TV,can you give me an advice what to buy.. LED> LCD>Plasma? and what brand is good? Thanks

Chuck Williams :

Sure, no problem.

Chuck Williams :

Each technology has its advantages, of course, so let's see what might work for you.

Chuck Williams :

Direct view LCD sets can be just wonderful. They are generally the most energy efficient. But unless you get one of the more expensive ones that have 120 Hz. (or higher) processing, you'll find that fast moving scenes will be blurry. Slow moving stuff or still frames will be very clear. Also, many direct view LCD's have a limited viewing angle, and the picture will deteriorate the farther off axis from the ideal viewing spot you get. You need to look at one before you buy it, and move from side to side and see how much the picture deterorates when you do, sme are much better than others. Generally, screen sizes are limited to the mid 50 inches.

Chuck Williams :

LCD sets come in two general varieties, those with flourescent back lighting (that's what makes the light that comes from the screen) or LED backlighting. LED backlighting, in my opinion, can be much more reliable than the CCFL (cold cathode flourescent) backlighting, and the sets are usually much thinner that CCFL.

Chuck Williams :

Plasma TV's generally don't have the image lag problem that LCD's do, and don't suffer from the viewing angle issue, but they can be real energy hogs, so if that's a concern, that might not be good for you. Also, they are much heavier than an LCD set, but there seem to be slightly larger screen sizes available than for LCD.

Chuck Williams :

Whatever you buy, be sure to get an extended warranty.

Chuck Williams :

All of these TV's, regardless of whether it's plasma, LCD, or rear projection, have large and expensive assemblies that cannot be fixed, and must be replaced. This forum is replete with tales of woe about how the screen developed a defect and the set is out of warranty. The customer is left with a giant piece of e-Waste, which I'm afraid is what you have now. But at least you've gotten pretty good service out of it.

Chuck Williams :

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Customer :

How would I know if it's Direct view LCD? aren't all LCD Direct view?I'm planning to buy one at Costco,I think the're the cheapest ones that sells LCD TV's

Chuck Williams :

If it's LCD and a flat panel, yes, it's direct view. But LCD can also be a rear screen projection (like a DLP set is), that's why the differentiation.

Customer :

Which one would you get> Samsung 32" class LCD HDTV or Sony Bravia 32" class LCD 1080p 60HZ HDTV or Sony KDL-EX500 series LCD TV or can you recommend a good one ? Many thanks.

Chuck Williams :

Honestly, I think either Sony or Samsung make a superb product. I know both of them have above average off-axis viewing capability (not as much as a plasma but very good), and they both have a very good service support network. Sony may be a little ahead of Samsung in that regard). I personlly might spring for 240 Hz. refresh rate, but unless you are a very critica viewer, I realy think you'll be happy with those units.