Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280
TV

My TV is blinking on and off

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-Is the tv making any noise?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
The model # XXXXX XXXXX and it is not making any noise.

When you say its blinking on and off, do you mean the power light on the front or the picture then?

Tim

Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
The picture goes on and then balck and then on, etc...

IF you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu blink on and off as well?

Tim

Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
yes, the menu comes on the screen and continues to blink on and off

So the menu blinks off as well then, it does not stay?

Tim

Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
The menu picture stays on the screen after I hit the menu button but the TV SCREEN PICTURE still blinks on and off no matter what I do.

Ok to verify, this does this with more than one device right?

Tim

Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
It does it if I do it manually or with the remote,yes

Sorry, what I meant was, the picture blinks off if you are watching say...cable or a dvd right?

Tim

Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
Yup,it blinks no matter what you do unless you shut it off.As soon as you turn it on it blinks on and off every 2 seconds or so

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan