Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I have a Phillips TV, model 20PT643R01. My remote will work

Customer Question

I have a Phillips TV, model 20PT643R01. My remote will work for a time being and then it will stop. I have to cover the eye right to the green light on the TV and then use the remote for it to work. It may work for a while or it may not. I have changed the batteries and cleaned both sensor eyes; the one on the remote and the one on the TV. Can you help me?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When it stops working, do the buttons on the tv itself work?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The TV was made September 2003. The buttons on the TV does work. Actually it is a circle on top of the TV that you can move from side to side to change the channels or the volume.

The on/off button is on the botton of the TV right of the green light when the TV is on and right of another eye. When I cover that eye the remote will work.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Are you using the origianl Philips remote or a cable/satellite remote?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I believe it is the original remote. At the top is the red power button and below that is a QuardraSurf area and then the rest of the buttons.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Thats the original.

Ok what I want to do is just check the remote to be sure...next time it stops working I want you to do a test for me. Do you have a digital camera or a phone with a camera? I want you to point the remote at the camera like you are taking a picture of the end of it, then press a button and look at the camera, do you see a white light emitting from the end?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The remote is emitting the light. The strange thing is (and I don't why I did it but I covered the eye next to the green light, dark if it is off) and the TV responded to the remote. If it is off, it will turn the TV on. And somethime when I cover the eye and hit the sleep timer the TV will start responding to the remote. Than something will happen and it will stop responding to the remote.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

You either have a micro or a bad system control circuit though, problem here is that repairing something like this will run $200 or more depending on what exactly is found. If you know how to use a meter and solder I can assist you with the repair, if not though you would need a repairman.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan