Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Sylvania 32 inch LCD HD TV that wont come on. Power light just

Sylvania 32 inch LCD HD TV that wont come on. Power light just blinks. I havent tried anything its out of warranty. model number is XXXXX thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Does the light blink a code? (example 6 blinks pause 6 blinks pause repeat)

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
doesnt seem to be pattern or code to power light. its comes on when tv is plugged in and blinks slow then speeds up. The tv was manufactured in April 2008. thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i have some experience with electronic repairs. I could attempt to repair power supply if you can give me some advise on trouble spots with this tv. I repaired an RCA with help from your tech. I had to resolder connections on flyback transformer and replace 2 capacitors. please advise, im willing to try to fix it. I have too much money in it to toss it. thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Ok well the first thing you want to do is to inspect all capacitors on the power supply to see if any look bad, if you are unsure what these look like then send me a picture and I will inspect for you.

Let me know.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i break it down and give it a try. thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

OK let me know what you find.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i have removed back and power supply looks fine. Do you have any voltage check points and values i should get. i can send pic if you give me address to email.thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

if you send it to gina@justanswer.com she will forward it to me. We need to check for DC going to the main board.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok im sending pics now of power supply and main board. thanks just let me know of check points.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i checked voltage coming into power supply board. It checks at 121 volts. i also checked voltage coming out of power supply to main board from beside the black capacitor above where ac comes into board. it reads at 117 volts DC. Is that correct, seems like a lot of DC voltage. did you get pics yet, i send power supply and main board pic.thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Do you see those 3 connectors going from the power supply to the main board (green board) They are just rigid metal? What I need is for you to put your black lead on the metal of the back of the panel and your red lead on each pin of those connectors, I need to know what DC you get.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry to be late getting back to you on problem. It was late here when got a reply,11:30pm. I do not see on power supply the connectors you are referring. It has 5 connectors on left side and 2 connectors on right. Main ac comes in on right lower corner and above that is connector with white and black wires. Above that connector is ribbon cable that attaches to main board. the connector with white and black is where is got 177 volts DC. Checking across black and red wire is 177 volts, but if i use frame ground and check red wire i get 0 volts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok there is 3 metal connectors on top of center board. I checked and got 3.2 volts on connector to far left. all three connect to green board. it has metal shielding over it. thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

I do receive a lot of pictures, maybe I am not looking at yours when I give you those instructions...is your name Stanley? If no then I did not get any pictures of your set.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes my name is Stanley. I sent two pics. One is of power supply and the other is motherboard or main board. the power board has ac coming in at right lower corner and it has 5 connectors on left that connects to LCD. the main board has two connections from power supply board. One is right above AC connection. It has a red and black wire, and above it there is a ribbon cable that connects to main board. The main board has lots of connectors. At the top is the three metal connectors you are taking about. the left connector has 3.2 volts when is use frame as ground test. thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Ok I would like to know what the voltage is on those connectors...

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok the connector on the far right is reading 3.2 volts DC. The image im viewing the connectors are located at bottom of picture. the other two middle and left dont have any voltage on them. thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

So only one pin has 3.2 all others are 0?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all the pins on the right connector read 3.2 volts. the middle and left connectors dont have any voltage.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Are you checking them while the light is blinking?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes the power is on and power light is blinking. I rechecked the right connector voltages. starting for the right, # XXXXX and # XXXXX pins read 3.2 volts. number 12 & 14 pins have traces of voltage and it drains down to zero. it reads around 3.2 but drops before it locks in on meter. i rechecked middlle and left connector and they are showing 0 volts.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Next we would need to check each one just as you hit the power button to see if they spike.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok starting from right pin # XXXXX it has 3.2 volts and drops to zero when i press power button # XXXXX has constant 3.2 volts # XXXXX reads 22.9 constant # XXXXX reads 22.9 constant # XXXXX reads -6.7 # XXXXX reads 3.3 constant # XXXXX reads 3.2 constant # XXXXX read 3.3 constant # XXXXX read 3.2 constant # XXXXX reads 5.0 constant # XXXXX read 3.2 volts constant. thanks maybe we are making some track to a repair
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

I thought all pins had 0 but the ones with 3.2 before, what changed?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got nothing on middle and left connectors. the 3.2 drops to nothing when i press power switch. i didnt check pins with power button before. thats probably where i got crazy readings.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

OK I see...we are getting something crazy going on here and I cannot put my finger on it...can you get me an overall view of the tv with the back off?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sure ill send pic of with back removed to gina. i have to go pick up granddaughter at daycare. she has a fever. ill be back in about 1 hour. thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Ok sounds good, take care of family first and let me know when you have time.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok im back. did you come up with anything?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Were you able to get that picture?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes i sent it a while ago, i sent the pic of back of tv to XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. thanks
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Ok disconnect all the wires on the edge of the set and the two ribbon cables at the top, does anything change when you turn the set on?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i disconnected the two ribbon cables at the top of the green board. I plugged it in and the green power light is still blinking. i pressed power button and nothing changed.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Did you disconnect all the ones on the side of the set?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes all five connectors on left side and two ribbon cables on top. There is a cable on the right side main board but it wont disconnect. nothing has changed power light still blinks.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sylvania-a8af3uh-digital-board.htm

Looks like that digital board must be causing your problem. If you go to the link above, they have it for a great price.

Tim

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.