Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

I have an old (13-years ) Sony Trinitron KV-27XBR45 TV. And

I have an old (13-years?) Sony Trinitron KV-27XBR45 TV. And I *don't* have the remote for it -- I use a universal remote.

My girlfriend says she pressed the "Help" button -- I don't know if that's what she pressed or not -- and two small PIP-type screens came up, side by side, with no picture in the background. One of the small screens now has the TV programs on it. The other is black.

I've tried everything to try to restore the picture to the regular full screen, but nothing I do is effective. Do you have any idea how I might solve this problem? Thank you!
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Jack :

Hi and thank for using justanswer.

Jack :

To answer your question;
Without the original remote control this could be tricky but there could be some ways around it

Customer :

Hello Jack,

Jack :

hello

Customer :

So how does this work? Do I misunderstand that the expert gives me the answer somehow, and then I pay? If there are some ways around it, are you the one to work with me on this, or not?

Jack :

yes i will be, was waiting for you to enter the chat

Customer :

OK. So we begin?

Jack :

was also looking at ways to reset your tv

Customer :

OK

Jack :

First i`d like you to look closely at the of the set because some of those XBR tv`s had actually a reset button back there

Jack :

That was the back of the set

Jack :

sorry for the typo`s

Customer :

OK, I'll look. The TV is in another room, so it'll take me a second or two. I'll let you know when I'm back.

Customer :

Jack, that would have been too easy. No reset button.

Jack :

Yes i know but some sony actually use to have them
No problem that wasn`t the only trick in my bag

Customer :

OK.

Jack :

Be right back with something else

Jack :

Do you have to step out to reply to me ?

Customer :

It's just a couple of steps. Takes about 5 seconds.

Jack :

you don`t have a chat window just below ?

Customer :

I didn't understand you, sorry. Yes, I have a chat window below. I thought you meant step out to the TV.

Jack :

In any case i have here a procedure that may be feasible with a universal remote but you may have to figure out which button is used to "display"

Here is that procedure;
With the tv off, press in a sequence within 10 secs DISPLAY- 5 -VOL+ and PWR

Customer :

OK, will do. Give me a couple of seconds.

Customer :

Jack -- Problem. With the TV off, I don't see a "Display" button on the top of the unit.

Customer :

Also, this might help: On the top of the unit it says "XBR Advanced 2 Tuner PIP"

Jack :

i meant on the remote control,is there a button that says display ?
Or is there a button that when pushed will normally shows info on the screen like the channel number ?

Jack :

I do have your manual in front of me

Customer :

I'm using a Comcast remote. I can get to "display" by pushing the "Menu" button, I think. I've never tried to do it with the TV off. "Menu" offers several options, and I think 'display' is one of them. Or else its in the "setup" button on the remote.

Customer :

I think I'll have to turn the TV on first to determine where the 'display' option is. I'll do now.

Jack :

O.k then that won`t do because those remote have a very limited range of control over the tv set.

Jack :

What i meant is to enter the tv`s service mode.
In order to do that you need to have those buttons directly on the remote control

Jack :

not on screen or menu

Customer :

"Display" isn't on the remote.

Jack :

What happens if you press the "setup" button directly on the tv set ?

Customer :

I'll check it out.

Customer :

It says "Auto Set-up [CH+]

Jack :

Does it show it full screen ?

Customer :

The various options take up the whole screen, but the small pip-type image is still there in the background.

Jack :

I`m starting to wonder if your cable box may not be the one who has the tv set in PIP mode.

Customer :

When I press PIP on the cable box, absolutely nothing happens. Whether I have the "Cable" or the "TV" button pressed, nothing at all happens. For other options, say changing channels, the red light comes on "Cable" when I change the channel. Nada for PIP.

Jack :

We`ll try something else
Try unplugging the power cord off the tv and cable box for five minutes or so then try it again.

Customer :

OK, I'll do that. Are you going to stick around for that amount of time?

Jack :

No problem

Jack :

Going to get a coffee

Customer :

A few more minutes to go

Jack :

thats o.k take your time and you can wait longer if you want

Customer :

I think 5 minutes are up. Think so?

Jack :

o.k give it a shot

Customer :

OK, one second

Customer :

Nope, no better. In fact I must have screwed something up because now the image in the small pip window is snowy.

Jack :

Guess your tv needs to be on channel 3 or 4 to connect to the cable box ?

Customer :

Yes, channel 3. But it's getting the cable channels.

Customer :

I'm less concerned with the snow at the moment than with the PIP. Do you think we've gone as far as we can go? I actually have to be going soon.

Jack :

yes thats normal, if you press the tv/video button on the tv , what happens ?

Customer :

It cycles through Video 1-2-3, then back to the PIP image

Jack :

but does it cycle full screen with no PIP window ?

Customer :

No, it's two PIP screens for every one

Jack :

i meant when you press the tv/video button, does it show the Video 1,2,3 full screen or is it whitin those PIP

Customer :

It shows a full screen with the two PIP windows next to each other horizontally, execpt that there is no image in either of the windows until I get back to where I started, then I get an image in the right one.

Jack :

What i can do if you have to go for now , is to switch to Q&A mode and you will get an email with a link to get back to me when you are ready

Customer :

That sounds good, Jack. So, I assume, I'll click on "Accept" so you get paid? Also, do you think there's any hope here? Or is the TV done and dead?

Jack :

If worst comes to worst you will need a remote that can operate the tv directly.
Far from dead

Jack :

A $10 at walmart universal remote might do the trick , but lets wait

Customer :

OK. Think I can find a remote for a 13-year-old TV online? Or do you have any ideas of where I might find one? Also, am I supposed to click "Accept" now?

Jack :

You can click the accept and we`ll continue later on yes

Jack :

I`ll help you with the remote , no problem

Customer :

OK. I'll do that. Thanks for your help. I'll get back to you soon. Only problem is that I'm buying a new TV today (great deal at a Sony store) and I'll have to switch the cable etc back to this old one when I get back to you. Not much of a problem. Thanks for your help. Any last words?

Jack :

Nope , i`ll be waiting for you to get back and i might have the solution by then

Customer :

OK, thanks. I'll be in touch. ...Jeff

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech