Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

My LG LCD 47 inch television has a problem maybe power supply

Customer Question

My LG LCD 47 inch television has a problem maybe power supply but just guessing. When the set is turned on the green power light turns on but picture does not come on, just a dim gray screen (do have backlighting) and no sound. After 15-25 minutes or so, resetting power On/off will then get a picture with sound. This process is getting increasingly worse. At first you could reset power on/off after couple of minutes and picture would come on but now it has to 'warm' up 15-25 minutes before resetting power will produce normal picture and sound.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When you have no picture, if you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No menu will appear. Unit is 2 yrs old. I have a cable HD box hooked up whose remote controls TV. Also took shields off of both power supply and main digital board to check for bulging electrolytics. Power supply appears to maybe have a couple of bulging caps but hard to tell. Also Took some voltage readings coming out of pwr supply:

ACD= 4.06 On/Off=2.8 ST 5v= 4.16 Inv Ctl= 3.03 A Dim= .47 3.4v On= 2.3

ERR= .8 Burst dim= 3.58 6.5v= 6.3

Don't have any idea what is bad voltage though.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Any chance you can get me a picture of the power supply? (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the green tree on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)