Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I Have direct tv and and a vizio televison. It was working

Customer Question

I Have direct tv and and a vizio televison. It was working fine until the interface froze up on me. I thought it was the remote, so per direc tv procedure I reset the remote to factory default. Now when i turn the televion on i can see anything other the a blu sccreen the says "No Channels in the Master List" I lost the original vizio remote but do have side buttons. My white directv remote is only allowing me to turn the televion on and off. How can i fix this.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

-Do any of the buttons on the tv itself do anything?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model: VT420M
Age: <1 year
Problem: My remote wont control the input to reach anything. I can see the cable box on,and the dvd player on, but it wont do anything . all i see is a blue screen.
The volume works on the remote and television. The channel does not. I can see the LED on the cable box glow when i mash the buttons not happen though.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

If you press the input button on the tv itself, it does nothing?

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it prompts a menu, and it alows me to move the cursor, but not make a selection. would here is a video explaining the problem. let me know wht eles i can show you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thisisronschannel?feature=mhsn#p/u/0/nQwWLfyWCrc
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

When I go to that link it says "This channel is not available"

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQwWLfyWCrc
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

And you get that bouncing message on the screen if you go to the DVD or the cable box input?

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i get no response from the cablebox or dvd player. i can see the light on the box, showing that it makes a connection. It just dosent do anything on the screen
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll agree to pay you because of your time spent, and your service to the country (thank you) but, the problem was with the remote. When I called direct tv the walked me through how to re-set to thefacctory default and then reprogram it. All is well now, hope you have a great thanksgiving, and thanks foryour time.