Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I own a Samsung HLT6176. There are black dots gradually showing

I own a Samsung HLT6176. There are black dots gradually showing up on the screen and there are turning white days later. What is causing this problem?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How large are these spots? Are they perfect in shape?

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The unit is 2 yrs. old and there multiple black spots about the size of a gnat. The black spots are gradually turning white and more black spots are gradually appearing on the screen.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

This is actually a common problem on your model, what is happening is the DLP chip is failing causing these spots. In order to fix it you will need to have the DLP chip replaced, this can run $500-$600 for repairs. However if you call Samsung and complain, I have been told that they are now covering this as a warranty repair where they will fix it for free no matter how old your set is or how far out of warranty it is. So the first thing I would recommend is to try calling them to see if your model qualify for the free repair.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you have Samsung's phone number?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

The number you want is 1-800-726-7864 or 1-800-samsung