Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

how do i get my sony trinitron xbr off the standby mode

how do i get my sony trinitron xbr off the standby mode?

Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

1. What's the model number? This will be on the back panel somewhere.

2. Are there any blinking lights on the front panel?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where do i find the model number? the front of the tv says trinitron XBR
It will be on the back panel... probably on a sticker.

Also, are there any lights blinking on the front panel?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, got it KV36XBR250
Are there any lights blinking on the front panel?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes the stand by mode only. sounds like the tv is trying to turn on but nothing happens

Is it blinking in a pattern? Something like: 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, etc.?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, just blinks consecutively, no pause
Ok, thanks. Usually the continuous blinks is indicative of a failure on the "jungle IC" which is actually pretty common. Do you have experience working inside TVs, or are you more interested in a repair estimate?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no experience working inside tv's and i want to fix it myself.
Ok, no TV experience... what kind of experience do you have working with electronics in general? What type of test equipment do you own?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

cant say i own any test equipment, electronics is not my forte. if jungle ic is like a motherboard or something, then it is way out of my league. Sony said to call sears. So I guess, if its something really complicated, i will not be able to do it, then i will just need a basic idea of how much repair will be. the tv is 10 years old.

please advise

Even if you had some test equipment... the jungle IC is what's known as a "flat pack" IC and is notoriously difficult to replace, even for professionals. You'd need about $3,000 worth of equipment to do it right. That said, you're looking at $150-$250 for a total repair bill here. Let me know if you need a recommendation for a local tech... just give me your zip code.

Now if you feel you can leave me positive feedback, kindly click "Accept" so I get credit for helping with your issue. You can still post follow-up questions or comments after you accept. Also, a bonus would certainly be appreciated!