Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

have magnavox TV. No picture or sound.

have magnavox TV. No picture or sound.

Will help this customer anytime,

Hello Sir/Ms, My name is XXXXX XXXXX Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem, And possibly help you save on these Labor charges today, Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your question?

Can I have your make and model? on the rear of the TV

are you willing to open the TV ??

And also have you any Television electronics experience? if not A family/friend with electronics skills that can help you out.

Do you have a voltmeter and screw driver?

Are to trying to repair your Self?

Or Just know the problem ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
M/N 27MS3404/17 Yes I would like to do repair myself. Have volt meter, have back of TV off.
What have you checked?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not checked anything.

does the light blink?

do you here a click sound when powering on,, need a bit more info LOL

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes there is a click sound when powering on.

This is a very simple approach.

(Please click on high lighted words) If too technical cost for repair is around

Friend this is a very common problem with plasma LCD and also DLP within the power supply the capacitors also click here Start to fail and the way you can tell is to check them visually for swelling or expanding of the top. ALSO click here ,, and here also,,

It will be easy to see the bad caps will not be as flat on the top as the good ones, But also you can have a bad resistor or diode and even a bad regulator. Would like for you to take your meter and place it on DC voltage the positive end on every connector that says a voltage and the negative wire to the panel this is the best ground. Turn on and see if the unit tries to climb. If you don't find one that's trying to climb, another method is to locate a short circuit. Place meter on ohms or beep test follow same procedure no voltage should be shorted to ground. And this is the problem,

Exchange them and you will be ok, Well good luck friend. And if it doesn't work make sure the power supply is sending 24v to the inverters when you turn the set on your meter should climb but won't reach 24v because unit will shut down and if so we ruled out the inverters or back light I seen this problem also caused by the signal board it has a power on command missing and it looks like the power supply is bad but actually it's the signal board, it may be labeled on the board a active high or low 5v which sends the command to the power supply.

Good luck friend, and if my efforts are appreciated, feedback and or bonus will be appreciated

Capacitor pictures inverter pictures... cold spray can be used if your set works for awhile then shuts down. If you click here this is a complete process for troubleshooting a LCD

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rick, are you giving me info for a plasma or flat screen ?
Well this general info goes for both,, i would like to know if the caps are good first,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the caps are good. What Iam saying is this set is an analog model five yrs old not a flat screen or plasma
OH,, I see, sorry about that,, well first you should check if the horizontal out put is shorted,, let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is the horizontal out put, and how do I go about checking it

with a meter you check to see if the collector is shorted to any other pin,, Not sure if your a tech or not,, so if this is to technical repairs for this size tv are only around 50.00

(Please click on high lighted words)

If you don't here the Static, or high voltage when first turning on the unit, you possibly can have a shorted horizontal output or bad fly back, repair for this unit under a 100.00 if it is the deflection board like i assume. Well good luck friend. Horizontal out put And to test place positive wire from meter on the collector and negative wire on the emitter, base, and a ground, the collector should not be shorted to anything

Good luck friend.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tim, thanks for your time and help, Iam not a TV repair man per se I see I need more knowledge in electronics, Its time for a TV upgrade anyway. thanks again...Vince
your welcome