Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician
Experience:  20 YEARS OF TV REPAIR ALSO HD, DLP LCD AND PLASMA EXPERIENCE

my LG TV will not turn on and im experiencing a red power

my LG TV will not turn on and i'm experiencing a red power light blinking; any suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rick williams replied 3 years ago.

Will help this customer anytime,

Hello Sir/Ms, My name is XXXXX XXXXX Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem, And possibly help you save on these Labor charges today, Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your question?

are you willing to open the TV ??

And also have you any Television electronics experience? if not A family/friend with electronics skills that can help you out.

Do you have a voltmeter and screw driver?

Are to trying to repair your Self?

Or Just know the problem ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Trying to repair it myself. I am fairly experienced with this kind of stuff and am willing to open the TV.

This is a very simple approach.

(Please click on high lighted words) If too technical cost for repair is around

Friend this is a very common problem with plasma LCD and also DLP within the power supply the capacitors also click here Start to fail and the way you can tell is to check them visually for swelling or expanding of the top. ALSO click here ,, and here also,,

It will be easy to see the bad caps will not be as flat on the top as the good ones, But also you can have a bad resistor or diode and even a bad regulator. Would like for you to take your meter and place it on DC voltage the positive end on every connector that says a voltage and the negative wire to the panel this is the best ground. Turn on and see if the unit tries to climb. If you don't find one that's trying to climb, another method is to locate a short circuit. Place meter on ohms or beep test follow same procedure no voltage should be shorted to ground. And this is the problem,

Exchange them and you will be ok, Well good luck friend. And if it doesn't work make sure the power supply is sending 24v to the inverters when you turn the set on your meter should climb but won't reach 24v because unit will shut down and if so we ruled out the inverters or back light I seen this problem also caused by the signal board it has a power on command missing and it looks like the power supply is bad but actually it's the signal board, it may be labeled on the board a active high or low 5v which sends the command to the power supply.

Good luck friend, and if my efforts are appreciated, feedback and or bonus will be appreciated

Capacitor pictures inverter pictures... cold spray can be used if your set works for awhile then shuts down. If you click here this is a complete process for troubleshooting a LCD

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rick,

In you response the cost for repair is cut off can you please send?

One thing I forgot to mention is this LG TV is probably somewhat custom as I bought the TV from Marriott when I worked there.

Additionally I can open the TV however I do not have any guidance on what is necessary to open the TV. For example the TV has speakers on each side and it looks like I would need to unscrew each of these in order to access the panel, is that the case? Any guidance you can provide would be helpful???

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

PS - back of TV is off and I now get a flashing green/red light on the power button when plugging in?

this repair is around 100.00, And i dont suggest a non tech do this,, and from your questions,, I will assist you in any way,, and yes just remove the screws to the speakers,, to get inside,, basically use common sense to opening it up,, its pretty simple,, But i dont think your technically inclined so be careful,,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am technical however I didn't want to be recklessly taking the panel apart when I can ask someone that has done this before as I have not. At any rate there is absolutely no swelling on any of the caps. I will check the power supply however I find the links to the pictures confusing and can't seem to match them to the panel I have.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Adding to my last post; When I power up the TV (plug-in) the TV switches from green to red constantly. The fan starts on the green then stops on the red. This continuously repeats as if the TV is trying to start then something tells it to shut down. The small fan unit had a considerable amount of dust possible impeding the fan from running as it should. I'm going to buy some dust spray tomorrow to fully clean the fan unit and see what that does. I would love to accept the feedback and give you a tip however I think we need to get closer to a solution before doing so.

i see your no tech,, so there fore you should bring the tv to a shop,, my answer is what you problem is,, but i dont think you understand,, its ok,,i do wonder if you appreciate my efforts,, have a good thanks giving
Rick williams, Technician
Experience: 20 YEARS OF TV REPAIR ALSO HD, DLP LCD AND PLASMA EXPERIENCE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually very much appreciated. Thanks so much for your help!

thank you