Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

Panasonic TH-50PZ85U Push the POWER button and the red light

Customer Question

Panasonic TH-50PZ85U

Push the POWER button and the red light inside the power button illuminates / flashes 10 times.

No other noises or lights.

Please help!
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 4 years ago.

Chuck Williams :

Hi!

Chuck Williams :

A 10 flash shut down indicates a problem on one of two boards inside the set. Do you have any electronics experience and would feel comfortable changing a board? If so, I might be able to help you.

Chuck Williams :

But if not, then obviously you're going to have to get a tech involved.

Chuck Williams :

Ballpark cost for a tech to fix this is going to be in the $550 range.

Chuck Williams :

Let me know if you want to try working on this, and thanks for using justAnswer!

JACUSTOMER-m7zmicqa- :

Chuck,

JACUSTOMER-m7zmicqa- :

Thanks for the answer. I do have limited electronics experience but it was approximately 15 years ago.

JACUSTOMER-m7zmicqa- :

The tv is off of the wall on a stand with the back already off...

JACUSTOMER-m7zmicqa- :

And yes, I would be comfortable changing out a board.

Chuck Williams :

OK, then what I suggest you do is download a copy of the service manual for about $16 from

Servicemanuals.net. Once you have that, there will be a table that shows what boards are suspect with a 10 flash error code (the manual I have isn't exactly the same model, but it's close).

Chuck Williams :

I'm pretty sure the manual will say that for a 10 flash code, you need to look at the PA board or the H board. IN my opinion, the PA board is far more likely to be the problem.

Customer:

Chuck,

Customer:

Does your manual indicate how to test the individual boards or do I need the manual?

Customer:

Even with the manual I will definately need help trouble shooting the issues. My limited electronics experience is well limited.

Chuck Williams :

No, it doesn't, but if the info agrees with what I've told you so far, you can unplug the H Board, and if it still shuts down with 10 blinks, it's the PA board.

Customer:

How can I tell which board is the H board? And which wires do I unplug?

Chuck Williams :

Get the manual, it's in there. And get back to me once you do.

Customer:

Chuck,

Customer:

I have the manual downloaded and I am ready to go...

Customer:

Chuck,

Customer:

If I plug the tv in and just push the power button once I actually get the light flashing a 2 sequence. If I hold the power button a bit longer it gives me a 10 sequence.

Chuck Williams :

In the manual should be a table of what the flashing sequences mean, did you find that? And are you saying that if you just press the Power button one, it turns on with 2 flashes?? That's odd, but again, check your manual, what does it say for these flash sequences?

Customer:

yes.

Customer:

I just plugged in tv

Customer:

all lights are off

Customer:

push in power button

Customer:

hear a click

Customer:

now the power button is in a flashing sequence of 2's

Customer:

After 2 minutes i pressed and held the power button for 5 seconds and it now flashes 10 times and repeats

Customer:

in the owners manual under

6.2. Power LED Blinking timing chart

1.

Customer:

it says that 2 flashes is D board

Customer:

10 flashes is A board

Customer:

it wont let me cut and paste the table

Customer:

to show it to you

Chuck Williams :

Yes, that's what my manual says, too, so I'm a bit confused as to how you would have gotten 10 in the first place. Let me look at something else and I'll be back in a few.

Customer:

i held the button in a bit longer every time when the tv didnt start up so i always saw it as 10 flashes.

Customer:

last night my wife showed me that if i just pressed the button and let go, like normal that it flashes a sequence of 2 instead of 10

Customer:

Am i forcing some kind of issue by holding the power button down?

Chuck Williams :

OK, then I do think the D board trumps the PA board, so I wold start with replacing the D Board first. What you need to do is go to the schematic of the D Board, and in the upper left corner of the schematic, there will be a part number for the board. It will look something like TNPA3820ACS (that's what's in my book). Get me that number and I can give you ordering information.

Customer:

the schematic in the service manual? I dont need to pull the d board right now correct?

Chuck Williams :

Correct.

Customer:

D-BOARD TNPA4439AJS

Customer:

does this look correct

Customer:

11.19. D-Board (1/6) Schematic Diagram

Customer:

it was just under this title in the upper LH corner

Customer:

did you see the part number above?

Chuck Williams :

Yes, that's correct. If you click on Encompass and log in as a guest, you can order it from them. Note that you will initially have to pay $371.44 for the part, but when they get the old one back, they refund $250. I suggest that you do not attempt to remove the old D Board until you have the new one. When you get it, let me kow and I'll be available for any help you might need.

Customer:

Chuck,

Customer:

Encompass doesnt have the part in stock. Do you have another suggestion on where I may be able to locate it?

Chuck Williams :

I see that the one they have in stock requires Panasonic authorization, so it's only for service centers to order. But note thaqt they listed a "Green Choice" board, and that's what's not available. But what that is is a rebuilt board, which is cheaper than a new board from Panasonic. So what I recommend is contacting either

PTS Corp. or Tristate Module and see if they have a rebuilt board or can rebuild the board you have.

Customer:

I purchased a board from shop jimmy's. I have never seen a ribbon cable that doesnt have a plastic connector on the end to plug into the CB. I gave the ribbon cable a gentle tug and it doesnt seem to give at all. I dont want to damage anything. Is there a trick to releaseing the ribbon cable from the board?

Customer:

Chuck,

Customer:

i just figured it out.

Customer:

Chuck,

Customer:

I removed and installed the board.

Customer:

When I turn the tv on I am experiencing the exact same symptom.

Customer:

when i plug the power cord into the tv i hear a click

Customer:

and a red light on the A board, digital audio output, illuminates as well

Customer:

approximately 10 seconds later i hear another click and the red light extinguishes

Customer:

then i try to turn the tv on

Customer:

the fans run for approximately 1 second

Customer:

and then i get the 2 flashing light sequence.

Customer:

since the installation i have verified that all of the cables to the d board are secure on both ends, d board end as well as the component or board on the other end of the cable.

Customer:

it is without question flashing twice with a 3 second pause

Chuck Williams :

Gee, sorry to hear that. Thye manual says specifically that 2 flashes should be the D Board. But you mentioned something about 10 flashes too, does it still do that? And by the way, did the board from Shop Jimmy hav e any guarantee? Those parts from them give me pause as they are from junked sets. But if the new board is doing the same thing, I guess it's unlikely that it's bad, too.

Chuck Williams :

And you say you figured out the ribbon connector, I'm guessing that there is a lock of some sort on the femal connector? That's why I was recommending that you wait until you had the new board so that you could see how the lock works.

Customer:

Yes, the connector on the board had a locking mechanism that was hinged on the front. I just pulled up on the rear of the connector.

Customer:

Again, if I hold the power button down and do not release it for several seconds I can get the light to flash a ten sequence. But if I just push and release the power button, like normal operation, I get a 2 sequence everytime.

Customer:

So shopjimmy's doesnt test their equipment, they just canabilize and sell?

Chuck Williams :

As far as I know, that's correct.

Customer:

If you were in my position at this time would you

Customer:

give up

Customer:

order a replacement for SJ, that is their warranty, no refunds but they will replace it with another board

Customer:

or, order a remained board from a place that tests the board prior to shipping

Customer:

oops #2 was order a replacement FROM shopjimmys

Chuck Williams :

What I think I would try is unplugging the HA board and trying the power again. If you got the 2 flash-10 flash error, I might suggest the PA board. The problem is that the manual (at least, the manual I have) doesn't differentiate between momentarily pushing the power button and holding the power button for a different error code.

Chuck Williams :

And, sure, if you cxan get another D board exchanged, try that.

Customer:

I will do that right now

Chuck Williams :

OK, let me know!

Customer:

i dont see an ha board on my diagram

Customer:

PA

Customer:

I have a PB, P(main) and a P(AC)

Chuck Williams :

What board does your man ual say is suspect for a 10 flash error code?

Customer:

a board

Customer:

the a board has 9 connectors

Chuck Williams :

If that's the only board listed for a 10 flash error, then it's suspect too. Does you manual say anything about holding the power button for a second error code? It would be on the same page as the table of flashes (or near it).

Customer:

nothing

Customer:

i believe that by holding the power button in for an extended period of time that i must have been forcing another error.

Chuck Williams :

Yeah, perhaps, but I'm afraid I don't know.

Customer:

I originally held it in longer, i guess, because when I pushed the button nothing happened so I just held it in. If I just push the power button in and let go, I get a 2 flash everytime

Customer:

i would i unplug this board

Customer:

all 9 connectors

Customer:

chuck,

Customer:

also, the tv was recently moved, before we had cable we played xbox after the move.

Customer:

when the cable man hooked the cable to the rear of the tv it never came on again.

Customer:

i thought that this must be a coincidence

Customer:

dont know if that could help at all

Chuck Williams :

If you just unplug this board, I don't think that will tell you anything. The reason I told you to unplug the HA board was because on the model that I have the manual for, both could cause a 10 flash error, and the HA board isn't necessary for it to turn on. The PA board is necessary. If all you have is the A Board, I doubt that you can just unplug i9t and try it.

Chuck Williams :

And yes, I think that was all purely coincidental, but did he connect a cable to the screw on RF input connector?

Chuck Williams :

And obvously you've disconnected everything now, so I really doubt that had anything t do with it.

Customer:

yes, the antenna cable in coax

Customer:

yes it is all disconnected now

Chuck Williams :

If you look on the block diagram of the TV, does the A Board have the tuner of the TV? You might have to study it a while. Does the A Board have all of the input jacks for the set? I think it may.

Customer:

yes the a board has all of the input jacks on it

Customer:

Board Name Function Board Name Function

P Power Supply C1 Data Driver (Lower Right)

A DC-DC Converter

Speaker out, Sound Processor

AV Terminal, AV Switch

Digital Signal Processor, Micon, HDMI Interface

Peaks Lite 2p

C2 Data Driver (Lower Center)

C3 Data Driver (Lower Left)

SC Scan Drive

SU Scan out (Upper)

SD Scan out (Lower)

D Format Converter, Plasma AI, Sub-Field Processor SS Sustain Drive

K Remote receiver, Power LED SS2 Sustain Connector

S Power Switch GH HDMI3 in

GS SD Card Slot, Key Switch G Side Terminal

PB Fan control

Customer:

didnt cut and paste as pretty as manual

Chuck Williams :

Yes, I just looked at the book for a more recent model, and that's correct. So if I were you, I think I would now try the A Board along with another exchanged D Board.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

and this time i will try to order them from encompass followed by the 2 others you suggested

Chuck Williams :

All of those boards you listed have their own error flash codes, so they really shouldn't be suspect.

Chuck Williams :

At least Encopass has a reasonable return policy for parts.

Chuck Williams :

Let me know how it goes.

Customer:

Chuck

Customer:

I contacted ShopJimmys to order a new board and they had me verify the part number from the original board that i removed from the tv set. It was diffeent form the part number in the service manual, the one that I ordered.

Customer:

I ordered a TNPA4439 AJS as per the manual

Customer:

I removed from my tv set a TNPA4439 BJ

Customer:

I hope that this could resove my issue.

Customer:

I should have verified that before ordering the part.

Chuck Williams :

Mmm, OK, I guess, but that seems like a long shot to me. But sure, try to get the exact number.

Customer:

Shoot

Customer:

I was telling my wife the same thing after i thought it through. they look identical, They may be slightly different versions but I thought that it would probably at least work.

Customer:

The new D board is on its way. Shop Jimmys told me that they purchase new tv sets that have damaged screens and that they power them up prior to parting them out. If that is true, that is like bench testing isnt it?

Customer:

I am going to wait the 3 days for the d board, really because i am too cheap to buy the other board too. If the D doesnt work I will buy the a board.

Customer:

What is the likelyhood that it could be something in between the boards, like a cable for instance?

Customer:

I am hoping that it would be unlikely.

Chuck Williams :

If that's what Shop Jimmy does, then fine, that should be satisfactory (it figures, they never have screens available).

Chuck Williams :

It is extremely unlikely that it's something oddball like cabling inside the set. And if the second D Board doesn't do it, I'm feeling pretty sure the A board will.

Chuck Williams :

Obviously, keep i touch and let me know!

Customer:

Chuck,

Customer:

Thanks for your patience with me, I greatly appreciate your help.

Chuck Williams :

Keep pluggin', you're doing well, and I'll bet you get this nailed.

Customer:

Chuck

Customer:

can I keep this opened until I get the part, in case I need a little more help or should i accept to pay now?

Chuck Williams :

Absolutely. Even if you Accept, you can still keep it open, it will remain open until you close it (or it times out, but even then you can re-open it.).

Customer:

Chuck,

Customer:

Sorry that I hadnt accepted your answer yet. I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for all of your help!

Customer:

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX of luck to you!

Chuck