Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

my 42 sanyo lcd has no picture but has sound. Was working

my 42" sanyo lcd has no picture but has sound. Was working fine, just turned it on this morning and no picture. any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

What's the model number?

Do you have experience working inside TVs and wish to repair this yourself?

Or are you more interested in a diagnosis and a repair estimate?

Edited by Dan T. on 11/6/2010 at 6:12 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no experience working inside tv's. i guess more of a diagnosis and repair estimate. the model # XXXXX dp32746
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks for that.

You said you have sound... that's a good sign. Now I'd like you to do the following tests and post back with results:

1. Turn the TV on so you can hear the audio. Then turn off the lights in the room.

2. Does the TV have a slight glow?

3. Then, hold a flashlight 1-2 inches from the screen at a 45 degree angle.

4. Do you see faint colors or images?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is no glow, and i can't see anything with flashlight. when i turn the tv on the screen comes on and then goes off.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the response.

There are a few possibilities here. This could be your panel (the screen itself), the power supply, or the main board. Panel failure is pretty rare... and since you have sound... I'm less inclined to suspect the mainboard.

That said, I suspect part of the power supply has failed. The technician should look for burnt or missing resistors, or bulging / swollen capacitors (or other obviously failing components). The capacitors will look something like this:

The power supply for your TV sells for about $70... and will take about 2 labor hours to install (about $200, depending on where you live). So I estimate total repair here to be $250-$350.

Now, kindly click "Accept" so I get credit for helping with this issue. You can still post follow up questions after you accept.

Let me know if you need anything else.