Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.

my sankey 42 flat screen just died last night. checked lead

my sankey 42" flat screen just died last night. checked lead & outlet, both giving power, but no life at all from tv. I'm on a caribbean island with no repair tech's please help!

Ken
Category: TV
Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 3 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm a JustAnswer Customer Service Moderator.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information nor am I an Expert in this category and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I wanted to apologize that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Best,
Gina
Moderator
Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Should you still need assistance...

Almost always, there would be an inline fuse after the power cord connector line to the circuit board inside the TV. With a completely dead TV unit, this would be the preliminary suspect, it would have blown.

How the fuse is blown would be significant. If it is a clean break, then chances are that it has blown due to a power surge and replacement should fix the problem.

If however, the blown fuse exhibits black powdery burnt markings, then it would indicate that another component has faulted causing excessive current resulting to the fuse blowing.

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center or a qualified professional.

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Edited by Benimur on 11/5/2010 at 4:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tried replacing the fuse as suggested (it was blown) but the new one popped immediately, leaving a black residue inside the glass. There are no service agents down here, and very few technicians - any idea what i could try next? would you have access to a wiring diagram or service manual for this unit (serial # XXXXX model Sankey CLCD-4220BL)

thanks

ken

Expert:  Louie replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, no schematics in my current location.

If the fuse blew again with burnt markings and it is in line with the power cord then:
  • the fault would almost always be with the power supply section;
  • the fault would be most likely be in the primary (HOT) side.

There are only a few components on the HOT side that could and would cause the fuse to blow:
  • biggest capacitor (unlikely but still a possibility);
  • switching regulator (least likely);
  • bridge diode (likely);
  • VDR - voltage dependent resistor (most likely).

Edited by Benimur on 11/6/2010 at 10:46 PM EST
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.