Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

The picture on my 2006 trutech flatscreen television is gone;

The picture on my 2006 trutech flatscreen television is gone; there is still sound. Can this be fixed or is it worth the effort and cost?

Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

It might be worth the cost. Of course this depends on the full diagnosis... also, TruTech parts are pretty hard to come by, so repair might not even be an option.

First, please answer a couple questions for me...

1. Is the picture gone on all inputs? (DVD player, cable box, game console, etc.)

2. If you press MENU on the remote, do you see anything?

3. With the TV on (picture blank, audio on)... turn off the lights... does the screen glow like the back light is on?

4. Still with the TV on, if you hold a flashlight 1-2 inches from the screen at a 45 degree angle... do you see faint images of what should be displayed?

Let me know.

Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1. The picture is completely gone.

2. Cannot see menu.

3. Checking to see about 3 and 4. Will take a few minutes.

No rush... post back when you can.

-Dan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
TV will not turn on at all. Cannot answer 3 and 4.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The blue light on the DVD case stays on.

When you tried to turn it on... did the screen have a slight glow? Almost like there was a light behind it?

Do you still have audio?

-Dan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No light at all. Except for the DVD light on the side of the TV.

No audio; the TV does not turn on now at all.

Ok, first you should unplug the TV for 30 minutes or so... then plug it back in (straight into the wall... no surge protectors or splitters). Be sure to test the outlet first with another device.

If the TV still has no video or audio, there are a few possibilities. A panel failure could cause this, though I'm willing to bet it's the power supply or the main board. Both would require a technician (unless you have an electronics skill set). Either way, you're definitely going to exceed the value of this set... a 4-year old 17" LCD isn't worth much today.

If you're a DIY person and feel comfortable working inside TVs, you could remove the back panel and take a look around. You'd be looking for burnt or open components, and bulging or swollen capacitors like those pictured below. The power supply board will be the first PCB you encounter when tracing the input power cord inside the TV. If you can find a component or two and spend a few bucks replacing them (you'll need soldering equipment and a multimeter)... the repair would be cost effective. Else, it might be time to let this one go.

-Dan

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here