Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics

TV repair

I have a Mitsubishi WS-555111. The TV worked fine, I unplugged it, moved it from one room to another, it sat for 3 weeks. I just turned it on and the timer light is flashing and it will not turn on, I hit the reset button on the front and it is still flashing. It will not turn on?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I have just signed on (after the weekend) and I am just now seeing your question...

When the timer light continues to flash and never stops, this indicates the digital module (DM) is not booting up... usually caused by seven bad (weak) capacitors inside the module. These parts usually first show bad after the TV loses power; but, eventually they will fail on their own, too.

These gradually failing parts have always had power applied to them whenever the TV had power (whether it was turned on or not), so they have stayed warm and working. When the TV lost power, these parts "cooled down" and were not good enough to work when the power came back on. This is a very common problem in this model TV.

If you were to keep the TV plugged in, and push (System) Reset periodically (every five minutes or so), it may eventually boot up and turn on (these are borderline bad parts). But the next time the power flickers, it will do exactly the same thing. Eventually the problem will get worse until it will not boot up again (which may be now).

Hopefully these parts will build up enough to work one more time. If it does start working again, please remember to save or print this information for later when you need it. Unfortunately, this is the best option to try without repairing the TV.

If you would like to do the repair, the DM and the capacitors to change are shown in the photos below. You would need soldering equipment and good soldering skills to change these parts. The capacitors are all 1000uf 16V at 105C. Capacitors with a higher voltage rating are preferred, space permitting.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

If you would rather have an on-site technician replace these, the labor should be in the range of $150-200 (in my area, depending on location). The parts cost should be $35.00 or less. Most servicers will know of this problem and can usually repair it in your home in about an hour. You may also want to compare prices with more than one shop before committing to a service call (hint).

When you call your servicer, please reference Mitsubishi bulletin: VS-76. Your Mitsubishi servicer will know exactly what the problem is and what to bring for the repair.

If needed, your nearest authorized Mitsubishi servicer can be found by entering your information on this page:

http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?template=search_new&client=mitsuservicer#?mid=174138

Even if the TV does eventually boot up and turn on, please remember to save this information for later when you need it: it will either help with the repair or possibly help to negotiate a better price if you call a servicer.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can help in any way.

Edited by Steve on 11/1/2010 at 7:07 AM EST
Steve, Technician
Experience: Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics