Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

I have an Jan 2008 LG 50PC5D Plasma Tv. I have sound but no

I have an Jan 2008 LG 50PC5D Plasma Tv. I have sound but no picture. I have a few questions?
Is this a common problem?
Is this a fairly easy fix (I have an electronic repair confidence level of about a 6)
Are the parts costly and readilly available?
Is this better left to the experts and approximately what would a tech charge?

Thanks

Bill
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Bill!

Yes, this is a common problem, and may very well be a fix that you can do. A proficiency level of 6 is better than some "techs", by the way.

Can you tell if the panel "charges"? It would look like a very dim screen, you may have to be in a darkened room to see it, but you should clearly be able to see the difference between the set being on and off.

Let me know!

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Chuck,

Yes it gives me a little flash and then very dim.

OK, then what it sounds like you have is either a defective Y Sustain or Z Sustain board. These are located on the left and right sides of the panel. The problem is that there is no easy way to determine which is causing the problem.

But if you are comfortable taking the back off of the set, there's one quick and dirty method that's worked well for me many times. Take the back off, power up the set, let it run for 10 minutes, and carefully feel the various heat sinks on these two boards. All of them should be at least moderately warm. If you find one that's cold, there's a good possibility that that board is where the problem is.

See what you can find and let me know.

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got it. I'll try it now.

I'll be offline for a few hours, but I'll check back later.

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Chuck,

Thats a great idea and makes perfect sense however a different problem seems to have come to light. The heat sinks on both the YSUS and ZSUS warmed up as descibed. In fact all the heat sinks warmed up except on the power supply (SanKen EAY32929001). Of the 6on the board I have two on the primary side dead cold. I think its the primary because of the writing on the board and the main a/c power goes into there first. In looking at all the parts costs on line (looks like about 325.00 to 350.00 to replace all three items) I am trying to justify that expendature for a TV that this problem seems to occur frequently. In you opinion should I just chalk the 17.00 for your time up to experience or do you think this unit is worth the investment? Just like when I buy a car I talk to the service department first, so I value your opinion.

Thanks

Bill Martin

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Bill, there are a couple of heat sinks on the power supply that usually don't get warm, so that sounds normal.

But if all of the heat sinks on the Y and Z Sustain boards are comfortably warm, then I don't think they are the problem.

But you said that you do get some sort of light on the screen, correct?

And, I'm guessing that if you press the MENU button on the set, you do not get the LG menu on screen, correct?

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is correct I do not get the menu screen.

Bill, can you confirm whether or not the screen charges when it's on (very dim glow)?

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do get the very dim glow.

Then this really isn't a common failure for this set. The Y and Z sustains are far more common, and if one of them were bad, the screen wouldn't glow.

Thee's an outside chance that the problem is the panel, but that's not as likely as the digital main board being bad.

I don't have the manual for this, can you take a digital photo of the back of the set and post it?

Chuck

Also, there is probably a suffix on the model number, let me have that, too.

Chuck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure if you got it but here is the full model number. PDP50X40D36

Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 3 years ago.

Nope, that's not right. The 50PC5D number is XXXXX but there are some extra letters after that model number, it will be on the back panel.

Chuck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The previous number was on the chassis on a tag in the uper LH corner. The number on the back of the panel is 50PC5D-UL.AUSRLHR.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Bill, that's what I was looking for.

And I don't have great news. The part number for the "main chassis," which is everything except the Y and Z sutain boards and power supply, is EBT36489708, and would cost in the $335 range, but my LG parts supplier says it's no longer available.

And if you could get this part, I'd say go for it, and that should get you fixed up.

But what I might suggest is to contact either PTS Corp. or Tristate Module and see if they either have a rebuilt chassis or can rebuild/repair yours.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience: Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chuck,

Thanks for all your help. I think at this point I'll just put it up for sale as a parts unit.

Thanks again

Bill Martin

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Well, sorry, Bill, best of luck to you.

By the way, if you buy a new set, whatever you buy, be sure to get an extended warranty.

All of these TV's, regardless of whether it's plasma, LCD, or rear projection, have large and expensive assemblies that cannot be fixed, and must be replaced. This forum is replete with tales of woe about how the screen developed a defect and the set is out of warranty. The customer is left with a giant piece of e-Waste.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you, and thanks for the Accept, the bonus, and the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Chuck