James, Technician
Experience:  AV Service Engineer (4 Years)
24944807

my sony surround keeps saying protector and push power

my sony surround keeps saying" protector" and" push power" when i turn it on. my flatsrceen tv says weak signal and the cable box is on. everything is pluged into monsters hts1000 conditioner power plug which is plugged into a power cord which is plugged into the wall. what should i do? help!!!
Hi There,

That's your speaker protector system. When something's not right (usually a shorted speaker wire) or the speaker itself is defective, it senses it and stops the receiver from applying power to the speakers to keep it from burning out the power amplifiers.

Try disconnecting all of the speakers and then turning it on, hopefully the message should have gone away, turn it off and connect one speaker at a time, turning it on each time to check if the "Protector" message is on.

Find the speaker line with the fault on, and check for damage to the cable, and also check that the cable is connected correctly at the speaker end.

If you can open up the speaker that you think there is a fault on, it could be that there is a short inside the speaker due to the move.

Hope this helps.

James.