Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Our plasma TVs entire screen turns to pink. This happens

Customer Question

Our plasma TV's entire screen turns to pink. This happens about 3-4 times in an evening of TV watching. Our solution is to interrupt what we are watching, turn it off and then back on immediately. This does not assure us that the pink will not return within the hour.

LG Plasma TV, mfg May, 2006. Model # XXXXX Serial # XXXXX (2027)
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cable only. It happens when watching regular broadcast and also TEVO.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Never happens on a DVD?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tim, we have a DVD hooked up but we've not used it since the 'pink' problem.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Any chance you can check it for me today or sometime and let me know if this problem happens while watching it as well?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We will be glad to. After checking it, how do we get back with you?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

If you use the link in your email from Just Answer, it will get you back to this same exact page, once you post here I will be notified and respond ASAP.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. XXXXX is in operation and we will get back with you.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok sounds good.

TIm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tim, we have played a DVD for 2 hrs. 45 minutes with no pink.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

About 20 minutes after we turned the DVD off and went to a channel on TV, it turned pink.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Seems to me that this would be a cable issue and not a tv issue at this point then, have you spoke with your cable company about this yet?

Tim

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We will try and get the box changed on the 50" plasma before the weekend. We have a TV in the bedroom that is also on cable and has no pink issue. We will contact you again if the change of cable boxes doesn't help. Thank you.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok sounds good, let me know what happens please.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will accept answer so that he can get paid, but actually it is rather pending since we are trading our cable box to see if that helps. if not, I assume he will keep working on the problem.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Let me know what happens, I will be happy to continue working with you if the cable box does not resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are going to Comcast this afternoon after my husband gets off of work to trade the box. We'll get back with you in a reasonable time after we've tested the next box. It seems to go pink after the TV has been on awhile, never in the first hour. We appreciate your concern with us.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Sounds great, let me know! Thanks!

Tim

P.S. I will be gone for the weekend and back on Monday so you probably will not hear from me until then, sorry.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's even better! By Monday we should definitely know something. We'll get back with you.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok sounds great!

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tim, we exchanged our cable box. It was hooked up by 5:15 pm. We left the TV on and by 6:45 the screen turned pink. Behind the pink we are still able to see figures moving about but certainly not clear enough to continue watching.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Now that just doesn't make sense, DVD is perfect but the problem has now showed itself on 2 cable boxes.

How is the DVD hooked to the tv and how are you hooking the cable box to the tv?

The choices are:
Component cables: 5 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a green, a blue, a red, a white, and another red cable

Composite cables: 3 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a yellow, a white, and a red.

HDMI: 1 wire between the tv and the device, this is a single wire and looks like a computer plug on each end, similar to a large USB connector.

Coax: This is 1 wire between the tv and the device as well. This is the normal cable wire with the end the screws

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
DVD and TV are hooked via component cables. The cable box to the TV is HDMI.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Well I do apologize, I guess I should have asked that one a long time ago, just assumed they were both the same connection for some reason.

What you are having is HDMI incompatibility issues, they happen all the time and are a pain. There is rarely anything that can be done for them and in 99% of the cases the best thing to do is to use component instead of HDMI. On your set you will get the same picture quality from your cable box to the tv with component as HDMI, only downside is there are 5 cables instead of 1. But to fix this problem permanently I suggest you switch to component rather than HDMI.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We scrounged up a cable, hooked it up but couldn't get a signal. Perhaps the cable is bad, so we will find another cable and see if we can get it to work. I'll be back at ya when we accomplish that.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Ok sounds good, to test you could always use the cables that are on the DVD player also...

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

.

Tim, we are still in trouble. We purchased a new cable and we can't get a signal. We tried using the cables that are on the DVD player, as you suggested. We can't get a signal. So, we put the HDMI cable back on. We got a signal. The violet-pink color appears with more frequency and usually starts anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour after the TV is turned on. We have had this TV since 2006 with basically the same hook up that we have now with all devices. This pink thing started about six weeks ago. What do you suggest we do now?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

You are saying that the only signal you can get out of the cable box is the HDMI no component?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

What happens if you put the tv on so you get a picture from the dvd and then while it is on and you have a picture from the dvd, you unplug the cables in the back of the dvd player and move them to the cable box, do we get a picture then?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We disconnected the HDMI after doing what you suggested in your reply. On the LG controller input switch we can then get the picture in black and white on AV1 and on Component 1 we get the picture in color.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Ok, watch it on component 1 and tell me if it turns pink.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We will keep it on Component 1 and get back with you...pink or not.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Ok sounds good.

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow, no pink for over 48 hours! Yea for you Tim. One other question, now that we have it hooked up going through Component 1, how do we play the DVD in order to be able to see it? We had it hooked up to Component 1 but now of course we have the cable box hooked up through Component 1 instead of Hdmi.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

You have a component 2 input on the back of the tv right?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We found it amid all the red, white, yellow, etc. maze of plugsand the DVD works just fine. And, still no pink.. Thank you again for all of your help. You are my hero!!!!

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Awesome news, glad you got it going!

Tim