Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a old mx920 suroundsound system and i just now learned

I have a old mx920 suroundsound system and i just now learned that they have a recall on them I have been using it for about one month should i be conserned.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 years ago.

Hello, The recall was for adding a "Speaker Protection circuit" to the output stage of the unit. Seeing as the recall was in 1997, there's not much you can do now in terms of having them cover it. It is not an issue that is a safety or Fire Hazard, but more so would lead to the unit malfunctioning in case of a short to the speakers or connected wiring. You can add a basic protection circuit to your speakers, but simply splicing one of these relays onto the positive speaker wire on each speaker. You would separate the positive from the negative wire, and cut the positive. Solder one of each cut positive end each to a terminal on this mini relay. This is effective at protecting the speaker output circuitry on the system.

You could also add a small 1.5 amp fuse to each positive speaker lead as outlined above.

Here is a link to the recall:

http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia99/compliance/philips1.pdf

If this answers your question, please click "Accept". Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Edited by Aric Kimball on 10/22/2010 at 2:29 PM EST