Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My LG television is overheating and shutting off. It is off

My LG television is overheating and shutting off. It is off warranty and I need to know how much it is going to cost me to fix.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Why do you think it is overheating?

-How long does it stay on before it shuts off?

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Of course, since the television shuts off there is nothing to play dvd on or cable.

-Why do you think it is overheating?

-How old is the unit?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Between 1/2 and 3/4 of an hour. I bought it in January 2007.

What does the led light on the front do when it shuts down?

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It stays on green until I switch it off and it takes several tries to do that. When it is in that mode it doesn't seem to know what to do.

When it goes black, if you look close at the screen, do you see a slight glow to the screen? (room might need to be dark to see this)

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, it is completely black just like you turned it off. I know the difference. When cable is out it is grey not quite black.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $350

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $400-$500 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan