Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a RCA R52WH74 rear projection TV that wont turn on.

Customer Question

I have a RCA R52WH74 rear projection TV that won't turn on. The on/off switch is working but the TV acts like it is not plugged in. Is there a fuse I should check?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the light on the front of the set doing?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The light does not come on.

It was made in December 2006

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Actually, I just found that if I unplug the TV, then plug it back in, the LED comes on for a second when the power button is pushed. The LED makes no further response to the power button until the TV plug is disconnected and reconnected again.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Do you have 5v dc at the power switch?

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
0 Volts at the power switch
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

is there 5 volts at the LED?

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

0 volts at the LED.

If I unplug the tv and plug back in, the LED will blink green for half a second when I hold in the power switch. During this time there is a voltage jump at the LED but it is too fast for my voltmeter to read well.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Ok if you disconnect that control board by unplugging the wire going to it and then try to control the tv with the remote, will it come on then?

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I disconnected the board and tried the remote power button. There was a small noise from the TV like when pressing the TV power button after plugging in the TV the first time. I wanted to see if the LED would light when using the remote power button so I plugged the control board back in. This time the remote was successful in turning the TV on!!

Both the TV power button and the remote power buttons seem to be working now. Any idea what changed or how I can prevent getting in this situation again?

Thanks,
Ken Trent

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Ken,

I think that control board is failing, I normally recommend leaving them unplugged and just using the remote, as this normally bypasses the problem and you normally have no more issues that way. Only problem is the buttons on the tv will not work and the green light will not work.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Where could I get a new control board?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

The control (or key) board is discontinued for your model, part number 272076 I cannot find one anywhere.

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

No problem, let me know if you need anything in the future.

Tim