TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

Why does my Sony Bravia need to warm up to work correctly

Why does my Sony Bravia need to warm up to work correctly?

Most likely you have what we call a temperature sensitive circuit that is failing until it heats up-- some circuits actually can have a part with a broken junction, and when it heats up that junction pushes together and starts working again.

To isolate that part, we need to know how it behaves when it's bad.

Now most TV's have a startup sequence and some will generate fail codes if the TV turns on, and turns itself off -- they blink a certain number of blinks, pause, blink the same number, pause, blink the same number over and over.

Do you see that occur?

If not, does your TV stay turned on until it begins working normally?

What occurs or does NOT occur when it's bad?

Do you see the display panel glow after being turned on 20-30 seconds? If it does, your backlights are working.

If it does not, then the inverter is shutting down.

Do you get either picture or sound, or nothing?

If you press the TV's menu button or the volume button -- do you see it display or not?

How about sound, do you hear anything like TV shows playing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
now what?

Did you check to see if the backlight lights up or not ????

If it lights, did you press the volume or menu to see if they displayed on your LCD screen?

You check those things I listed to check, then you post your findings here.

Then I analyze, maybe ask more questions just to make sure we didn't mis-communicate, then when I have enough information, I tell you what has failed, post part numbers, websites that sell the part and then finally you press the Accept button for all my work, knowledge and help.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for some reason I didn't see you orignial questions. When I turn the tv on everything does what it always does...tv on, picture on, sound on but the right side of the tV seems to have shadows and or blurry and then 15-20 min later it is perfect.

Oh! That's a totally different issue then, and yes, I have seen your problem on other brands too.

That is actually shift register failure on the right side of your LCD panel !

That's not good because the shift registers are built into the LCD panel and the COST is prohibitive to replace it !

Part numbers 1-802-489-13 and 1-802-489-31 (depends on your serial number on the TV)

But before you RIP OUT your hair -- read this.....

SYMPTOM: Any panel failure, except where resulting from misuse or abuse

As part of our commitment to quality, Sony will replace the LCD Panel in any Affected Models (defined above) experiencing picture anomalies due to LCD Panel failure through October 31, 2012. Please note that this Limited Warranty Extension for LCD Panel will not apply where the LCD Panel failure is the result of customer misuse or abuse.

Yep, Sony is making it right.....

So, this is what you do --

Call Sony -- Phone Number: 1-239-768-7547

Mon-Fri 9:00AM-8:00PM ET

Or just contact your Local Sony servicer and they will get the ball rolling.

But I suggest contacting Sony because they provide their BEST servicers within your area.

I just hope you don't live in Boondock, Utah.

If you have any questions, just ask

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.