TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

47 vizio flat screen tv has sound no picture. changed inverter

Customer Question

47" vizio flat screen tv has sound no picture. changed inverter board and slave. still no picture. what could be the problem. black screen, cannot see a thing on the screen. nothing!!!!!!!!!
Category: TV
Expert:  Erin replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Erin Wong :

I will do my best to solve your problem or guide you in the right direction.

Erin Wong :

What Tim suggested and the order he suggested was correct base on your symptom.

It is unfortunate that the inverter and slave boards are not at fault though they are usually at fault.

If you confirmed that you cannot see any moving image, a faint image or even little motion on the LCD, then the next thing to try would be to disconnect and reconnect any cable going to the main video board and to the Control board. (this won’t cost you a dime and it doesn’t hurt).

Erin Wong :

Then if that doesn’t fix the problem then the next thing that needs to be changed is the Main Video Input board. Click here for a direct link to the board selling for $99.00.

Full Size Image

If that doesn’t fix it then the last thing to change would be the Control Board which is much smaller than the Main Video Input Board.

After that if it doesn’t fix the problem then the problem lies with the LCD it’s self and at this point you will need to sell everything you purchased on e-bay as parts and scrap the entire panel.

There is no easy way to detect which is at fault unless you have spare parts to swap them out or the proper tools to check.

Customer :

ok, took television down to the panel and the outside frame. when shining a light between the lcd panel and frame, the picture could be seen. can you tell me from this what the problem might be

Erin Wong :

If you can see an image on the LCD, it sounds to me that the lamps are not turning on. Can you confirm if the CCFL (Lamps) are turning on?

Erin Wong :

Changing both the "Inverter" and also the "Master & Slave" Board should have fixed the problem. The only thing left are the Lamps, unless the new parts you purchased are defective. Let's hope not and assume they are working, in most cases when 1 or more lamps are broken or just gone bad. The other lamps should be able to turn on momentarily, at least for 1 second then they will automatically shutdown because of the inverter protection circuit. So, if you see the TV just momentarily turn on then shut down then it's a very good sign that 1 or more lamps are faulty.

Erin Wong :

I'm not sure what you meant by "took television down to the panel and the outside frame". We have the plastic frame that makes the TV nice looking with speakers, then you have the Metal frame that holds the LCD in place, which also has the LCD glass & lamps inside. So did you mean you took the entire LCD panel apart? To the point of removing the thin LCD glass from the metal frame?

Erin Wong :

NOTE: Since you are able to see video on the LCD, I'm positive you will not need to replace the "Main Video input Board" or the "Control Board".

Erin Wong :

Please answer my questions so I can better understand and provide you with tech support.

Erin Wong :

I noticed you just entered chat, I will be stepping away for the day and will return later this evening. Please answer the questions above and when I get back I will reply to your response.

Customer :

yes the thin glass was removed from the metal frame. the lamps are not coming on. is that fault with the parts that i just purchased?

Customer :

but the tv stays on as long as you don't turn it off using power button. just no video unless you shine a light between the lcd panel and outside frame

Erin Wong :

If the lamps are not coming on, not even for a split second then one of the parts you purchased may not be working properly. If possible make sure the fuse is still good on the Main Inverter board. Please let me know if you are able to do that.