Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I turn on my Sanyo ds32224-02 TV. the set clicks sound comes

Customer Question

I turn on my Sanyo ds32224-02 TV. the set clicks sound comes on then the set turns off.
I hold down the menu button and plug in the set same thing happens
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What does the power light on the front do?

-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't see a power light on the front of the television.

the date on the back is 09/2004. chassis NO. DS32224-04

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

There are several things that can cause this.

The most common is the horizontal circuit, when it shorts out it will shut the set down just like yours is doing. This repair normally runs $200-$300 depending on what is found.

However this could also be caused by the vertical circuit, power supply, and high voltage circuit to name a few. The average repair price for any of these is $125-$300 depending on exactly what is found.

However to determine exactly what the problem is will require troubleshooting. Some knowledge of electronics and a multimeter will be needed for this. If you have this knowledge/tools I will be more than happy to walk you through the troubleshooting of this set and determine what is wrong. Also most repairs will require good soldering skills so you will need these as well for us to repair the tv after diagnosis. If you don't have any of this then a repairman would be your next step.

I am sorry to bring you the bad news on this one, you definitely have an internal failure in the set that is putting it into shut down.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a volt Ohm meter and a Tenma model: 72-740 Oscilloscope wth 40 MHZ Dual Trace with instruction manual. Soldering station two temps 20 watt and 40 watt. I have worked for Thomson Multi-Media as a Electronics Specialist doing rework of circuit boards from 1998 to 2001 till one month after 9/11 layoffs. With the schooling from National Radio Institute for a master in Computers and then a Certificate for Professional Video Servicing and the tools I have I hope we can fix this Television.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok well the first thing I would start with is the horizontal output, we need to read the collector to ground and see what the resistance is.

If you do not know what the horizontal is then you can take a picture of the circuit boards and post it to me and I will circle it for you. (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the green tree on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a PDF file that I downloaded from internet file name is DS32224(SS780048).PDF for my Television What test points do you want read.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

The collector of the horizontal output transistor to ground.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can we uses the PDF file I have ? and what test points do i uses

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

If you send me a link I will look at it, but what you sent me doesnt open anything up.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
http://www.givemefile.net/smanuals/tv/sanyo/file/6467.html
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

I cannot get that to open, I will opt out and see if any experts have your service manual because I do not.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can I send you my file that I downloaded in it's PDF format. If i can please send me a email address to send it to My email is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

You can email it to gina@justanswer.com if you like she will forward it to me.

TIm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I have sent out the email to Gina with attached PDF.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok Ill check and see if she has it.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Looks like she hasn't gotten in yet today, she will let me know as soon as she gets here.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YAHOO! I found the horizontal output Q402 trans. on the board. The collector to ground resistance 14.9 kOhm.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

OK test DC voltage at turn on now.

Also not sure whats up with my partner in crime today, Gina has not checked in so sorry, I have no manual yet.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The collector to ground voltage on Q402 is 79.1 volts with TV pluged in. Over 1000 when power comes on
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Over 1000?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes over 1000 VDC. My VOM don't go higher then that.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok unsolder or cut the center leg and check the voltage at the trace.

Tim

Edited by Expert TV on 10/6/2010 at 11:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK I will cut the collector and check voltage at the trace.

OK the I made the test I got 79.1 power off 132 with power on and a lot of relay noise.

then TV turns off

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

OK is the relay noise new?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not hear the chatter be for.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

OK solder that back together that voltage is good, you were reading RF before and not a true 1000 volts so nothing to worry about there.

Next you need to check all the voltages coming out of the secondary.

Check for:

9 volts on anode of D276

12 volts on positive side of C629

9 volts on R489

For all of these you can use the metal case on the tuner as ground.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

9 volts on anode of D276, The PDF file shows D276 ON Foil side of board H,5 NOT FOUND

the PDF file showing foil side of board dose not look like my board foil side

12 volts on positive side of C629 is 13.4 VDC at TJ2 at board location A,3

9 volts on R489 is 11.3 VDC at board location B,4

I downloaded the servicing info for a Sanyo DS32224 TV but the board lay-out, parts and parts list don't quite match... frustrating. The info is for chassis # XXXXX board # XXXXX I have a DS32224-02, board # XXXXX Any help? Thanks!

Read more: I downloaded the servicing info for a Sanyo DS32... - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1du0y-i-downloaded-the-servicing-info-for-a-sanyo-ds32224-tv-but#ixzz11hSJCFwn

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

So our voltages are high, possilby we have a regulation problem then causing the voltages to be too high and shut down.

how long do these stay up?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A count of 7
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok BTW this manual is not so great so it takes some time for me to read it to figure out what I want to know.... but next we need to look at:

Q601:

Collector should be 155 V DC when on and 170 when off (use emitter as ground)

Q604:

Collector should be 0 volts when on and off (use emitter again as ground)

let me know.

Tim