Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.

Olevia flat screen-picture is beautiful -but no sound -TV is

Customer Question

Olevia flat screen-picture is beautiful -but no sound -TV is about 2.5 yrs old.

hubby just tried the ear phones -and there is sound thru the ear phones
Category: TV
Expert:  Joe Gillette replied 3 years ago.
The first thing to do is un plug the tv for more than 40 minutes some times little power surge will lock up the audio processor this will allow it to reset if you still have no sound after this i will need the model number to give you more options
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joe thank you for your response. I just got it so have unplugged the TV and am now waiting to see what happens. If this doesn't work I'll send you all the necessary info on the set to help you diagnose it better. The headphone jack does work so I put together a surround sound system with some components I had around the house. It doesn't sound bad at all but I would like to have the main sound system working again if possible. I'll let you know shortly if your fixed worked.

Jim Monroe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joe,

Unfortunately that didn't work. I left the tv unplugged for about 3 hours. When I plugged it in same thing happened. I can get sound using the headphone jack and the speakers Y connected in but nothing from the main speakers. The TV is an Olevia 42" flat screen. Model number FM1-04200legs39 and is aprox 2 1/2 years old. I don't know enough about them to just tear into it so any ideas you have would be much appreciated.
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jim,

Joe is no longer available - I will try to assist, but I need some clarifying information. You have a "Y" connector going to the TV - is this on an input or output - if an input, what signal are you providing to the TV a cable or satellite unit?

Thanks,

Edited by Rod on 10/5/2010 at 11:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Rod. Thanks for the help. Give me a minute to double check the model number as I think I wrote the wrong one down. Then I'll explain exactly what happened. Be right back.
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tim,

No problem. Most Olevia TVs have a model like 242 342, 424, etc. and some - xxx

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok got it. It's an Olevia LCD model 242FHD-T11. The problem started last night. We turned it on and got no sound. I checked the headphone jack and that still worked, so I hooked up a Y connector to it and have sound through 4 of my computer speakers.

We were told to unplug it for about an hour to see if the audio processor would reset. I left it unplugged for about 2 hours and had the same problem when I plugged it back in. No sound from the primary speakers. As I said, I hooked a y connector and 4 computer speakers into the headphone jack and they are working great. But it sure would be nice if we could get the primaries back.
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jim,

The audio output of the headphone jack is not the same power of the internal speakers - and sometimes not the same "amplifier". Unfortunately, there is no service information available for Olevia TVs and they no longer sell in the US - although some manufacturers use some of the same internal circuit boards.

We need to get back to basics on this problem -

First, and not to attack your intelligence, have you checked that the mute function is not enabled? If you have the original remote - press the mute button a few times - if your remote does not have that - even if it does - check the menu to see if the internal speakers have been disabled (turned off) - some units do this for home theater systems.

I will only be on for a few more minutes tonight - so if you desire I will opt out - to allow another expert to assist you, otherwise, I will be back tomorrow around 4PM EST.

Whatever you desire, post back the results of they suggestions I recommended so if another expert picks up - they will not run you through it again.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rod I hate to have you opt out but I would like to try and figure out what this is. First off no insult but I checked both last night with the original remote and the speakers are not disabled. That was one of my first thoughts. After checking that I used my PC head phones on the TV head phone jack and they worked. I build my own computers so have a ton of parts laying around. I found the Y connector and hooked up the 2 pair of pc speakers jacked into the head phone connection and they worked. Then I double checked the mute / speaker functions again and they are still "on" Not muted. Thanks much for your help I hate to lose a good service guy but understand you have to go.
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jim,

I have to go off - I will opt out - but if another expert does not pick this up - it will remain in my queue and I will pickup tomorrow.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok Rod..Thanks a million. Wish you could stay but if no one else picks this up tonight then we can pick it up tomorrow. Thanks again and have a great evening!
Expert:  Anthony F. replied 3 years ago.
Hello JA Customer
I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old
With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business
You have a bad MAIN board
Quite frankly its not worth worrying about
if you have a work around that works
its not worth replacing the board as its not cheap
the audio amp is part of the main digtial baord
this is multilayer digital BGA type of board and there is no field repair possible
you can replace the board if you want to
why bother?
also I just went to look the board for you
couldnt find it in stock anywhere
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Anthony. I had a feeling that's what it was. I custom made a Y connector last night for the headphone jack and am now running 2 pair of Altec Lansing preamped computer speakers off the head phone jack. It actually sounds better then the stock speakers that took a dump. I have just one question about running those off the head phone jack. I figure they are separate circuits but do I have to worry about that one frying also?
Anything is possible
but you are not putting any undue load on it they way your running it
it comes out at line level
and the computer speakers are looking for just that
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience: 20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And I appreciate that info very much sir. I won't worry about it because I don't think the preamped computer speakers are going to put much if any load on it. Thanks much and we'll consider this one closed. Again you guys come to the rescue. PC's I repair blind folded but not flat screens. Thanks again sir and have a great evening!